Eric Crapton

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Eric Crapton

Post by hammertime » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:19 pm

I was watching this clown the other night on a show about Robert Johnson (whom I like) on PBS. This guy has to be the single most overrated guitar player on the planet. He looked like a turtle or something, with his little round head bobbing around while he played. He played cliche after cliche riff with this faux American bluesman voice -- it was almost kind of funny if it wasn't so pathetic. This guy really captures the spirit of mediocrity (which is probably why so many people like him).

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:05 pm

Is there anything that you actually like? Well, I guess you mentioned Robert Johnson. Anyway, I agree with you about Eric Clapton, although I must concede that the ride cymbal during the breaks in "Cocaine" is one of the coolest things ever committed to tape. I heard a rough audience recording of one of the recent Cream reunion shows and the performance was positively stale. Word.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:47 pm

Right now I'm listening to Roy Smeck (Roy Smeck plays Hawaiian Guitar, Banjo, and Ukelele.). It's a trip how alot of older music like Django Reinhardt, Smeck, Fats Waller (etc. -- there's some more stuff I like) doesn't paint in such broad strokes (heavy-handed chord banging crap like Crapton's version of Cocaine). The music is more subtle, the lyrics kind of corny (when there are lyrics), but the emotion comes from the musicianship, not these broad, floundering emotional cliches.

dither
pluggin' in mics

Post by dither » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:54 pm

I never understood the fascination with Eric Clapton...or how he became a blues man. B.B. King thinks he's alright though *shrug*

djuny
audio school

pretty good guitarist

Post by djuny » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 pm

I know it's not cool to like popular artists, but you can't be serious about hating on Clapton, can you? Ever hear the Mayall stuff? Cream? 461 Ocean Blvd?

Now granted, he has been spotty throughout his career, but geezus, how can you completely dismiss the person who gave us Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:38 pm

Oh, darn. I forgot about Wheels of Fire. "Pressed Rat and Warthog", however unClaptonesque, got me through the difficult years of eighth and ninth grade. You got me there. I stand by my opinion of the later Clapton.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:38 pm

I tend to prefer the lap steel playing of Lester Fernfuffle, who played with the McGee/Flaherty Rhythm and Rhythm Band and later formed the Pebbles. The greatest uke player in history (though admittedly he played dustbowl uke, not Hawaiian, but Hawaiian's sellout crap anyway) was Skin'n'Bones Murphy, from Webster Klorn's band, the Harper County All-Stars.

Oddly, the best jazz harmonica player I've ever heard is this Hungarian dude who was a contemporary of Django's. His name was Nandory Szepeszszesikiszi. Played a chromatic harp and one of those really huge bass harmonicas. Great chops, that guy.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:27 am

Eric Clapton liked my Tribute To OJ Simpson song, that's the only reason I like him in return.

I like Layla unplugged, even tears in heaven, and while my Guitar Gently Weeps is pretty cool, I guess. I'd call Clapton OK.

Now The Who, that's an over rated band! :D

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:09 am

Clapton has played on tons of shit we don't even know about...

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Re: Eric Crapton

Post by Marlowe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:03 am

I agree completely.

I have to give him credit for the Beano/Mayall album, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Cream, though. Since Cream he's dedicated himself to representing boringville 100%!
hammertime wrote:I was watching this clown the other night on a show about Robert Johnson (whom I like) on PBS. This guy has to be the single most overrated guitar player on the planet. He looked like a turtle or something, with his little round head bobbing around while he played. He played cliche after cliche riff with this faux American bluesman voice -- it was almost kind of funny if it wasn't so pathetic. This guy really captures the spirit of mediocrity (which is probably why so many people like him).

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Pressed Rat and Warthog?

Crapton couldn't have had much to do with that song. He certainly didn't "bring it to us." Neither did he "bring" us Wheels of Fire or Disraeli Gears. All he did, like always, is sit there and wank out unmotivated lead guitar in the same blues scale he has always played, while Jack Bruce sang his ass off, and Ginger Baker played like a genious.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps would have been way better if there was no Crapton on it. Even just blank space would be an improvement. I always thought that should have been a mariachi song anyway.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Well, it's a free country and we're all able to say what we think.

Within reason.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:51 pm

"How is Eric Clapton like Turkish coffee?

They both SUCK without CREAM!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:43 am

Hmmm.

Turkish coffee every morning for me, without cream. Shucks.

Gets the bowels moving like gangbusters.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:09 pm

Hmmm... is that got something to do with the lyric "I wait in a place where the sun never shines"?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net