Eric Crapton

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:35 pm

Some threads never die. Okay, more stuff to ponder regarding Clapton: What about "I've Got a Rock/Roll Heart"? That song has the classic line "I get off on 57 Chevies". The song might mean that a mere 56 Chevrolets would be insufficient to get Clapton off, but 58 of them would be overdoing it.

Just trying to keep the thread going for Herr Hammer.
Last edited by ;ivlunsdystf on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:36 pm

I just watched the Cream reunion thingy on PBS. For one thing, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker kick some serious ass. Secondly, Clapton should be shot for playing a STRAT on the Cream stuff, especially on the "quacky" pickup settings of 2 and 4! Jesus holy christ that sounds crappy. Plus he didn't even use a fuzz or wah. :wink:

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:37 pm

I'd actually call him the most overrated artist in pop music history. The only thing he did was make mediocre blues noodling more accessible for white people.

And Cream is all due to Jack Bruce.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

herodotus
pluggin' in mics

Re: w

Post by herodotus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:40 pm

jeddypoo wrote:I'd actually call him the most overrated artist in pop music history. The only thing he did was make mediocre blues noodling more accessible for white people.

And Cream is all due to Jack Bruce.
I love to hate Eric Clapton.

But the most overrated artist in pop music history is Prince.

(ducks and covers head).

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:12 pm

Smoke a bowl, put on a pair of headphones, and crank up Live Cream vol. 1 & 2 (vinyl versions only!) to ear bleed volumes (so you can experience exactly what made me want to start playing jam-rock in the first place). Follow that with Blind Faith. And check out his note for note perfect Freddie Green imitation with a pretty killer tone on the Blues Breaker album. Then let me know if any of that changes your mind.

Granted - that doesn't mean he's done much of value whatsoever in about 30 years. And granted - most things that he ever did Albert King did first and did better. But still - give the man props for playing some good stuff before he f'ed himself up with H.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:17 pm

I was listening to Blind Faith on the Dinosaur Hour on the local radio station tonight, and I just thought how stupid that music sounds. It's just a notch above the Grateful Dead in it's flake meatheadedness, but definitely not worth listening to.
Cellotron wrote:Smoke a bowl, put on a pair of headphones, and crank up Live Cream vol. 1 & 2 (vinyl versions only!) to ear bleed volumes (so you can experience exactly what made me want to start playing jam-rock in the first place). Follow that with Blind Faith. And check out his note for note perfect Freddie Green imitation with a pretty killer tone on the Blues Breaker album. Then let me know if any of that changes your mind.

Granted - that doesn't mean he's done much of value whatsoever in about 30 years. And granted - most things that he ever did Albert King did first and did better. But still - give the man props for playing some good stuff before he f'ed himself up with H.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Well then I guess it's settled.

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:42 pm

curtiswyant wrote:I just watched the Cream reunion thingy on PBS. For one thing, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker kick some serious ass. Secondly, Clapton should be shot for playing a STRAT on the Cream stuff, especially on the "quacky" pickup settings of 2 and 4! Jesus holy christ that sounds crappy. Plus he didn't even use a fuzz or wah. :wink:
i was a big fan of that era of Clapton, so initially i was happy to see the Cream reunion on PBS...it was kind of interesting, especially since the other two haven't had a gig that good in decades, but i'd have to say that as a whole they were a bit tepid which i guess isn't surprising when you dump three geriatrics up on a stage to play music nearly 40 years old.

i thought "Crossroads" in particular was subpar, not that i was expecting the balls-out fire of the old live version but it proved to me that sometimes it's better not to go back and try to relive past glories.....

oh, and i'm right there with you on the guitar choice, Curtis - bring back the Firebird and plexi-face Marshalls if you're going to do a reunion and get the guitar tone at least half right. has EC bothered to use anything but a Strat for an electric guitar in the past 30 years?

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:59 pm

Yeah, I've noticed how all these old blues guys like Buddy Guy and B.B. King kiss his ass. I heard the keyboard player for Clapton makes something like 30 grand a night, so it's easy to see why.
dither wrote:I never understood the fascination with Eric Clapton...or how he became a blues man. B.B. King thinks he's alright though *shrug*

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:10 pm

Wouldn't you bet with all the Fender EC ltd edition guitars and whatnot he is probably contractually bound to only appear with a Fender guitar?

blakbeltjonez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:20 pm

hammertime wrote: I heard the keyboard player for Clapton makes something like 30 grand a night, so it's easy to see why.

eh - sounds like a liiiiiiittle much - the economics of a show wouldn't really allow for supporting musos to get that kind of coin, no matter how great they were. my guess is that he's on some sort of retainer and a per show or weekly salary while touring, probably to the tune of a couple thousand per show. the guys who play for him are usually all pretty heavyweight musicians.

$30k is probably close to Clapton's take home pay of a show, though.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:57 am

Tatertot wrote:Wouldn't you bet with all the Fender EC ltd edition guitars and whatnot he is probably contractually bound to only appear with a Fender guitar?

...and "Bingo" was his name-o.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

q

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 am

I honestly find 90% of non-acoustic blues post 1959 to be painfully dull anyway. It's about emotional equivalent to being forced to listen to Howard Cossell read "Ethan Frome" from start to finish.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: q

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:46 am

jeddypoo wrote:I honestly find 90% of non-acoustic blues post 1959 to be painfully dull anyway. It's about emotional equivalent to being forced to listen to Howard Cossell read "Ethan Frome" from start to finish.
AMEN!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:25 pm

hammertime wrote:Yeah, I've noticed how all these old blues guys like Buddy Guy and B.B. King kiss his ass.
While I actually agree with you here, don't forget that B.B. King had his moment, too. He WAS a part of "When Love Came To Town."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC