Eric Crapton

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:40 pm

"Would you know my name, if you lived to eleven"

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:27 am

Cream was a Great band,,of people who grew to HATE each other and it was the combination that worked and that's where the energy came from. It was set to implode! It was Jack Bruce's band. I love Jacks as does just about anybody who's worked with him. Even on his worst nite he's silly as hell. A pleasure to tour with!
Blind Faith rocked too.
Derek and the Dominoes?
Then Eric Clapton. When Eric started doing what he still does there was him and Jimi hendrix and he was known for rock, not blues. Eric had a more "polished " sound for the day and a crazy look, like jesus of rock and roll. Back then Jesus freaks and dirt hippies occupied the same space and time, they were indistinguishable other than the occasional sign that only a Jesus freak would have.
Eric looked like both.
His audience grew up and got jobs. Eric, for all his "boringness" is a musician foremost who was bouyied in the early days of his career and floated on his own later. Few musicians display the finness over any instrument to elicit emotion out of it as he has developed.
Where Jack Bruce will show you the cards you are looking for, though he holds all the others, Eric tries to show you something new everytime. Its still music and to hear what's new, you have to listen.
And Roger Daltry can sing his ass off full tilt all day long,,, in key!
Harumph!

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Post by lifeintime » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:34 am

I saw EC in Chicago right after he released 461 Ocean Blvd. He played for 30 minutes, did Layla as an encore and then left the building. The PBS reunion seemed too conservative for the genre.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:53 pm

Holy crap. I just saw the Cream reunion on PBS tonight. What a lame deal. For a band who's coolness had almost everything to do with how much they rocked, I was surprised to see a show that was less rocking than a Monkees reunion. How utterly disappointing.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:15 pm

hammertime wrote:Yeah, I've noticed how all these old blues guys like Buddy Guy and B.B. King kiss his ass.
Because he's recorded their tunes and guested on their reocords. EC records sell more than BB and BG do, so they make more money from the white suburban crown that wouldn't know Buddy Guy if they walked into him. When EC is the guest on a record more of the yuppies buy that record.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:51 am

cgarges wrote:Holy crap. I just saw the Cream reunion on PBS tonight. What a lame deal. For a band who's coolness had almost everything to do with how much they rocked, I was surprised to see a show that was less rocking than a Monkees reunion. How utterly disappointing.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Now THAT'S a valid criticism!
I was on the Jack bruce tour when they started talking about it. Even Jack said it was a bad idea, I trust him on that. We were supposed to pick up Ginger Baker on that tour. from what I gathered from Jack and Eric it was a bad idea. They thought there'd be more hate than there actually was. Not enuff hate to rock. WEEEEEERD
Harumph!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:08 am

HATE TO ROCK, ROCK TO HATE!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:08 am

I'll take The Monkees' version of Boyce and Hart's 'Steppin Stone' over Cream's entire recorded output, plus EC's solo career.
beware bee wear

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

d

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:44 am

joeysimms wrote:I'll take The Monkees' version of Boyce and Hart's 'Steppin Stone' over Cream's entire recorded output, plus EC's solo career.
I'll second that. Perhaps even including "That Was Then, This Is Now".
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:04 pm

Definitely. I'll take Howard Roberts or Tommy Tedesco over Clapton anyday.
joeysimms wrote:I'll take The Monkees' version of Boyce and Hart's 'Steppin Stone' over Cream's entire recorded output, plus EC's solo career.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:08 pm

hammertime wrote:Definitely. I'll take Howard Roberts or Tommy Tedesco over Clapton anyday.
The Minor Threat version is pretty nice too.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:12 pm

dither wrote:I never understood the fascination with Eric Clapton...or how he became a blues man. B.B. King thinks he's alright though *shrug*
BB's too much of a gentleman to be startin' shit about anyone. i'm sure eric's a perfectly nice guy, too.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: w

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:25 pm

jeddypoo wrote:
hammertime wrote:Definitely. I'll take Howard Roberts or Tommy Tedesco over Clapton anyday.
The Minor Threat version is pretty nice too.
Yes indeedy.
beware bee wear

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:44 pm

Clapton is okay....Bell Bottom Blues...Derek and the Dominoes.....good stuff. That said, he hit lameville somewhere in the late seventies/early 80s. I think around the "I've Got a Rock 'n' Roll Heart" era :roll:

It's funny...people like Roger Waters of Pink Floyd worship Clapton; when he had GILMOUR playing right next to him. I read an interview with Gilmour, who said he was totally underappreciated....he'd play the best solo of his life and ask "How was that?" Waters would reply (per the Tape Op shirt...) "It sucked..come on in."

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:28 am

"Where Jack Bruce will show you the cards you are looking for, though he holds all the others, Eric tries to show you something new everytime. "

I don't know man, I mean, if you feel like he's really doing that, then maybe you can hear the difference, but it seems like that guy has been playing the same solo since day 1. And after Blind Faith, boy did it REALLY sound the same same same same same. (mostly)

I think that's why the only thing I really like from him is Ocean Boulevard and the stuff where he didn't play much in the way of solos. Just some pretty good songs.

He's total ass now though. But he mostly always was. Ever notice how any time he tries to solo with another good blues guitar player, he always gets spanked?

case in point: Robbie Robertson on the Last Waltz album makes him sound like a derivitive little typewriter ploinker.

Message to EC: Yes there is other electric guitar sounds besides clean fender stratocaster through whatever clean clean clean amp you always play. Same Same Same. Why would you do the same thing for 30 years? And no wah on White Room? What the Fuck? Wha? Kwwwwspfffffffffffhuuhhhhhh?

Go listen to Ween dude. You're as predictable as my morning poo.