my myspace/or MP3 DOWNLOADS- experimental/pop/psychedelic

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

julia
audio school graduate

my myspace/or MP3 DOWNLOADS- experimental/pop/psychedelic

Post by julia » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:51 pm

...or so the various labels imply.

http://www.myspace.com/sonmi

it is a solo project! check it out, if you want.

also, since it seems that mp3 downloads are preferable over myspace, here are downloads for the songs from the myspace-

parallel lines are bad
here is
bad days today

and here's one more song. not entirely substantial, i just wanted to practice mixing my cello into a song...

the hunter's son

i have more if anyone wishes to hear them!
Last edited by julia on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

Post by brokenchairs » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:28 am

That is some excellent stuff.

I never expect to hear something that i'm going to like.

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:32 am

i'd be careful if i were you. there's this guy who tried writing a record very similar to this one, and i heard he didn't turn out so well. the bad luck even seems to have spilled over to his brother. hide your siblings!

julia
audio school graduate

Post by julia » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:06 pm

ohh, thanks for listening!

seaneldon- oh dear, i do believe my infatuation with brian wilson and smile has perhaps boiled over a little much into my sound! but, do not worry, this being a solo project would prevent confrontations within band members, and my lack of recurrent substance use should keep me away from schizophrenic episodes :>

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:39 pm

Cool!!

Though I like the idea of being able to listen to what other people are playing and recording, I rarely like what I hear. But to me, this stuff is super cool - music, sounds and recording.

And an open-backed banjo in your myspace pictures! Awesome!

Don't know if you've got a pickup on it, but I've got a $20 piezo pickup (K&K, I think) on my ancient open-backed banjo that just sticks on to the backside of the head, and the jack sticks on too - wherever you can fit it on the bracing or whatever. I thought it would have come off by now, but it's all still stuck on there well. Sounds lo-fi, of course, but in a full band setting, it works fine and sounds "banjo-y" enough if you don't crank up the amp. Solo it sounds cool and trashy. I play it through a Princeton live, and I can make some awesome and surprisingly controllable feedback - even more insane if I run through the Z-Vex Super Hard On. I used it on a "real" recording recently and just ran direct through a Drawmer 1960 into a Digi001, and it sounded cool like that too.

Sorry for going off on the banjo tangent - I just love open-backed banjo sounds!

julia
audio school graduate

Post by julia » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:23 pm

thank you so much! that's really flattering to hear.

i do not have a pickup on the banjo (and strangely, i hadn't really thought of it yet, though i am definitely interested in putting pickups on my acoustic instruments). i can imagine it sounding pretty amazing through some effects. actually, i'm not sure if i've ever heard a banjo with a pickup! mine is really quite cheap, but i still enjoy the sound a lot. and because it's cheap, i love experimenting with the sounds it can produce, by bowing the strings and whatnot :>. are there pickups specifically for the banjo, or are there universal pickups that could, say, be used on a cello as well?

mcfl0nuz
gettin' sounds

Post by mcfl0nuz » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:48 pm

brianwilson<3.

this is some cool stuff, I added you to my bands thing.

my solo stuff is also sickingly attributed to brian wilson's psychadelic pop recordings. more into vocals though...and well, sort of like brian, nothing ever gets done :\

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:00 pm

A cheap banjo can sound as good as any other. Mine's a very temperamental 120-year old curmudgeon of an instrument, but its quirks give it character.

The pickup I put on it is a K&K HotSpot (http://www.kksound.com/hotspot.html). You can get one for $30 at a bunch of places. I got mine for around $20 - clearance or something. It's not designed for any particular instrument. It works fine for the banjo sounds I want. I love it even more because it was super inexpensive. If you're a little bit electronically inclined, you can make a lo-fi piezo pickup for almost no cost using one of those little piezo speaker thingies from a musical greeting card or toy, a piece of wire, and a 1/4 inch jack (and if your more electronically inclined, a couple of resistors for a voltage divider so it's not so hot, but you might like it hot if you're going for trashy sounds).

If you want to put a pickup in your cello and have it sound pretty and natural, I highly recommend the David Gage Realist (http://www.violinsetc.com/violinsetc/pr ... _id=Gage03 - also http://www.davidgage.com, but the site wouldn't load for me today). I have a Gage Realist on my doghouse upright bass and one on my Eminence electric upright. The pickup sounds great both plucked and bowed - especially bowed.

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:50 pm

on the subject of the banjo...you might want to graduate to one of these bad boys.[/url]

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:38 am

Crazy.

"A new sound for bass players, the BB-400 has an uncanny resemblance to the tone of an upright acoustic bass with our special sliding mag pickup. The BB-400 has extremely quick hammers, pull-offs, and slides. It is especially suited to play slap bass techniques. The BB-400 is available with frets or as a fretless model."

http://www.goldtone.com/products/detail ... ea2=bb-400

Now I'm off to sneak over to my workshop to make some cheapo piezo pickups. Talking about it made me want to try some on some oddball percussion things (cardboard boxes, trashcans) just for fun.

julia
audio school graduate

Post by julia » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:33 pm

hitting oddball percussive things is the way to go. on my "parallel lines are bad," i am hitting this 1-foot tall tin canister, that i think had once held some sort of korean food product. it made for some nice timbres, ones less predictable than the average drumkit piece.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:14 pm

Yeah, I haven't done primal percussion in too long - though I did build myself this percussion thing for a solo show earlier this year made from a piece of 2x4 about 18" long with bottle caps loosely nailed all over one side of it, two caps per nail, and with two cheap kid-size belts screwed to it so I could strap the thing to my calf and stomp on stage to rattle it.

My old band in Chapel Hill used to use almost everything BUT real drums for percussion - just one kick and one (sometimes 2) snares - but that was between three guys. The rest was found stuff - trashcans, bottles, computer monitors, computer keyboards, plexiglass, boards, toys, even the entire (extremely heavy, took a truck to move it) frame guts of a grand piano. Many times the stuff was found on the day of the show.

We recorded our side of a split 7" with Trailer Bride at a studio near DC about 10 years ago and stayed at my grandparent's house since they lived nearby. My grandparents were so cool - they helped us round up empty bottles in their basement, then gave us a big metal bucket to put them in so we could break the bottles and shake and beat on the bucket for a percussion on one of the songs. John Peel playing that track on one of his BBC shows was definitely one of the highlights of my musical life!

ClownMonkey
pluggin' in mics

Post by ClownMonkey » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:52 am

Coolness. Listening now. I added you as a "friend" too.
I'm getting a big deja vu for the band Gong listening to Somni.

http://myspace.com/doombilly

eArh0x
audio school

Post by eArh0x » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:50 am

Really Really nice stuff! Parallel Lines is my fav. I'd like to hear more. Also added as friend.
I play music for the same reason I masturbate. I know almost certainly I won't hit the big league, but I have a good time doing it.
-Cheesehouse 07.09.2004

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:03 am

Beautiful.

Rhythm reminds me of an old drumset I had. Carboard box for the kick, empty crumpled up gallon of milk container for a snare, plastic 5 gallon bucket for a floor tom, short cross hatched metal table (yard furniture) for a hihat, and a round saw blade for a ride.

Thanks for linking directly to the MP3s too! For some reason MySpace band pages aren't loading correctly for me, although my band page works fine...