We lost a brother - some sad news from New Orleans

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Spy Boy
audio school graduate

We lost a brother - some sad news from New Orleans

Post by Spy Boy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:22 am

I'm sure that everyone who attended the TapeOpCon post-party at Rock 'n' Bowl and were stunned by Bonerama's performance would want to know:

For Immediate Release - Sun. Dec. 18, 2005

Bonerama Bass Trombonist Brian O'Neill: 1955-2005

It is with the greatest sadness and loss for words that we mourn the sudden passing of our friend, brother and musical mentor, Brian O'Neill.

Trombonist, composer, arranger, vocalist, pianist Brian O'Neill passed away suddenly Thursday afternoon after suffering an apparent heart attack while on a solo piano gig in New Orleans, LA. He was a charter member of the New Orleans based trombone troupe since their first show in 1998. O'Neill was noted for his work with Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders in the 1970's as well as being a mainstay of popular New Orleans R&B vocalist Luther Kent's band "Trick Bag" for the past 25 years. As a freelance trombonist O'Neill was one of the most frequently called trombonists in New Orleans over the past 25 years. In Bonerama O'Neill penned the most recent "Bone Up" from the LIVE From New York CD and also appeared in countless tours and sit ins with the Bonerama horns including appearances with Gov't Mule and the Radiators.

Bonerama trombonist Steve Suter says "Brian O'Neill was the genuine article". Fellow Bonerama trombonist Mark Mullins recalls, "I met Brian on a gig at a Mardi Gras parade 21 years ago and after the first song I realized that is what I wanted to sound like. To have him in the Bonerama band was just a constant inspiration on both a personal and musical level. There was so much he had not had a chance to say yet..." And Bonerama trombonist Craig Klein adds, "He really loved playing the trombone and it was a passion that brought us all together. He is and will always be our bone brother. I love him and will truly miss him in so many ways."

Relatives, family and friends are invited to the memorial service on Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2:00pm, visitation at 1pm at the Bultman Funeral Home 3338 St. Charles Ave. New Orleans, LA. Information: (504) 895-7766.

We are planning a musical tribute for Brian O'Neill sometime in January. Details to follow soon.

Updates will be posted at www.bonerama.net

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:31 pm

How sad. I feel for his family losing him at this time of year.