lets talk flaming lips.....

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:22 pm

The first time I heard "Race for the Prize", I nearly shit my pants.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:54 am

ryanlikestorock wrote:The first time I heard "Race for the Prize", I nearly shit my pants.
The Soft Bulletin continues to kick my ass!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:10 am

I've heard some of the new stuff and it's gonna be great, too!

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:27 am

The Soft Bulletin continues to kick my ass!
I love: "Driving home the sky accelerates, and the clouds all form a geometric shape."
Love the country geetar on that part too.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Post by brainfreezebob » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:01 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
JASIII wrote:Also on Zaireeka, just multitracking all 4 discs to one doesn't cut it. The point is that there needs to be 8 speakers.
and drift.
Also, the larger point is that CD players all play at slightly different speeds. The tracks on Zaireeka were created with this in mind. As the discs slip in and out of sync with each other, they create wierd new musical patterns. Everyone obsesses with getting them synced just right, but I've enjoyed it most just letting it run (within the bounds of reason, no more than a few seconds out of sync). Zaireeka is never the same twice.

tommymakestapes
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tommymakestapes » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:52 am

i think it's cool that you have to put effort into listening to the record. not everyone is willing to track down 4 machines to play it on (roomates help!) or resync the players after each song. i mean those who choose to pass up the experience are just screwing themselves and the rest of us know it. i feel like a part of it (since you have to work for it) when i'm listening to it.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:19 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
JASIII wrote:Also on Zaireeka, just multitracking all 4 discs to one doesn't cut it. The point is that there needs to be 8 speakers.
and drift.
True. we had problems syncing our start times, so i put all four on the pro-tools, out through the 8 outputs on the digi001, and it wasn't really the same. It was however, much easier.

oh, and we left the tones out of track six. that song can cause sickness. just keep you head moving if you start to feel dizzy.

the VOID dvd is fantastic, all the classics in 5.1, it's like a psudo-zaireeka

swafford
pluggin' in mics

Post by swafford » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:40 pm

I've beeb a Lips fan since the mid 80's, but had to leave most thier shows during that period as they used strobe lights and the flashing would induce panic attacks in me.

A few years ago, I was at the AAA Radio conference in Louisville and they were part of the guest speaker/performers (well, Wayne and Stephen). Stephen played the piano, and Wayne had bits of stuff prerecorded that he would 'trigger' and sang. It was in an intimate, really nice radio live room and basically Wayne would talk about the songs from Pink Robots (which is what thye were out promoting), how they were contructed, and then they would do these stripped down versions of the tunes using the piano and recorded bits along with unprocessed singing. It was really quit mesmerising.

Later that day, there was a cruise on the Ohio aboard the Belle of Lousiville. As we were getting of the boat, Wayne and I happened onto the bus that would take us back to the Hotel at the same time and ended up sitting next to each other. I mentioned how we had met many years earlier in Cincinanti at a mutual friends house, and of course he remembered. We talked politely about mutual aquaintances, I then mentioned how the radio thing was the first time I had the opportunity to see them do anything live due to my 'affliction', but I'd been a huge fan for a really long time. He started quizzing me about strobe lights, the effects, how long I'd expereinced this etc. As we pulled up to the bus stop, we narrowed down the first time I'd experienced a panic attack due to strobe lights to when I was in 9th grade at a whippet party. He looked me in the eye as we were getting of and said "See, it was the damn whippets".

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:02 am

Great story. I'm jealous on many levels.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:07 am

Okay, so I have had the Soft Bulletin for a while and I put it on from time to time, but I'm just not into stuff thats so calculated and produced like that right now. Even though, I'm amazed by this record. My question though is who the hell is playing all the "stuff" on the recordings? Harps, mellotrons, strings, etc. No one gets any credit! It's can't ALL be the F Lips, can it?

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:10 am

kentothink wrote:Okay, so I have had the Soft Bulletin for a while and I put it on from time to time, but I'm just not into stuff thats so calculated and produced like that right now. Even though, I'm amazed by this record. My question though is who the hell is playing all the "stuff" on the recordings? Harps, mellotrons, strings, etc. No one gets any credit! It's can't ALL be the F Lips, can it?

-Ken
http://www.nellmedia.com/drozd/home.html

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:29 pm

starscream wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:Clouds Taste Metallic is my absolute favorite.
No doubt. Not only are the songs/arrangements on that album awesome but the sounds they got were amazing, especially the drum sound.
I double plus agree. Except, I really do like Yoshimi quite a lot. I know hardcore fans dismiss this album, but I think it's really good imho.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:44 pm

kentothink wrote:Okay, so I have had the Soft Bulletin for a while and I put it on from time to time, but I'm just not into stuff thats so calculated and produced like that right now. Even though, I'm amazed by this record. My question though is who the hell is playing all the "stuff" on the recordings? Harps, mellotrons, strings, etc. No one gets any credit! It's can't ALL be the F Lips, can it?
-Ken
That Steven Drodz is a scary-talented multi-instrumentalist, in particular. In concert now, he's rarely behind the drums--which is a bummer, since he's an amazing drummer.
Pee-wee: [falls off bike after attempting tricks] I meant to do that!

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:57 pm

"Pilot Can at the Queer of God" is the best song title ever. And one of the best songs ever.

Their DVD "Fearless Freaks" is SO GREAT. Not just as a history of the band (which is superb), or the sub-plot with the drug addiction (which is wrenching), but -- if you happen to be around the same age as Wayne, like I am -- just seeing their old family movies is like seeing your family movies.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:12 pm

"
I've beeb a Lips fan since the mid 80's, but had to leave most thier shows during that period as they used strobe lights and the flashing would induce panic attacks in me.

A few years ago, I was at the AAA Radio conference in Louisville and they were part of the guest speaker/performers (well, Wayne and Stephen). Stephen played the piano, and Wayne had bits of stuff prerecorded that he would 'trigger' and sang. It was in an intimate, really nice radio live room and basically Wayne would talk about the songs from Pink Robots (which is what thye were out promoting), how they were contructed, and then they would do these stripped down versions of the tunes using the piano and recorded bits along with unprocessed singing. It was really quit mesmerising.

Later that day, there was a cruise on the Ohio aboard the Belle of Lousiville. As we were getting of the boat, Wayne and I happened onto the bus that would take us back to the Hotel at the same time and ended up sitting next to each other. I mentioned how we had met many years earlier in Cincinanti at a mutual friends house, and of course he remembered. We talked politely about mutual aquaintances, I then mentioned how the radio thing was the first time I had the opportunity to see them do anything live due to my 'affliction', but I'd been a huge fan for a really long time. He started quizzing me about strobe lights, the effects, how long I'd expereinced this etc. As we pulled up to the bus stop, we narrowed down the first time I'd experienced a panic attack due to strobe lights to when I was in 9th grade at a whippet party. He looked me in the eye as we were getting of and said "See, it was the damn whippets".

I think this story is made up. It's good, but you should have ended it with Wayne squirting a bunch of fake blood on you.