Songs recorded and mixed with ProTools 002R LE ?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Double Tones
alignin' 24-trk

Songs recorded and mixed with ProTools 002R LE ?

Post by Double Tones » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:31 pm

I Want to listen to songs recorded and mixed with ProTools 002R LE

I am getting an 002r setup and want to hear what others have recorded with theirs. Post your links here please! Thanks!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:47 am

Caveat: some of this was turned around very quickly.

All of the following were recorded and mixed entirely on the 002:

I'd Like To/I'd Love To by TimmyG.

Oral Fix by TimmyG. Explicit content, NSFW.

The Nearly-unnoticed Death of Mrs. Wasp - underscore to a theatre piece.

White Rabbit - cover of the Jefferson Airplane tune, done for the same theatre piece as "Mrs. Wasp." Softsynths are Reason and Sampletank, both thru ProTools.

Carry That Weight - from the never-finished "TapeOp Abbey Road." Again, softsynths are Reason and Sampletank thru PT.

Here and Not Coming Back - another theatre piece.

Jesse's Girl - just messing about.

Little Red Corvette - just messing about.

I am the Walrus - I record a lot of covers in my spare time. :roll: This was also used as a theatre preshow bit. Same thing about softsynths.

No drumsets on any of this, as I don't have a space to record drums. I am working on a record right now, though, where the drums were tracked at a studio that uses a 002, and we're doing all of the overdubs on my 002, and it'll be mixed on a 002--though that'll be an "out of the box" mix. Any questions, feel free to ask. I hope this is helpful.

edit: I take that back about the drums--there was a live drummer on "Jesse's Girl" and "Little Red Corvette"--floor tom, snare drum and cymbal in my living room.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Double Tones
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Double Tones » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:21 am

This stuff sounds pretty good. Do you use any other pre amps, outboard gear etc,...? What kind of mics?

Thanks.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Double Tones wrote:This stuff sounds pretty good. Do you use any other pre amps, outboard gear etc,...? What kind of mics?
Thanks!

I think on the TimmyG stuff I used a Focusrite 428 mic pre, as we had one at work and I borrowed it. For "Here and not Coming Back" I used my Studer mixer for mic pres, but other than that it's all the mic pres on the 002. Mics are usually Neumann U87/89 or AKG 414 for vocals, acoustic guitars and percussion, though on a couple of acoustic guitar tracks I used the AEA R84 ribbon mic. Some 57s and RE20s on the live drums, I think.

I use a Behringer mixer to submix synths and guitar boxes, those being an SGX 2000 and a Digitech RP-8. I used those on a lot of the electric guitar tones, since I am usually working late at night on these things and can't use an amp.

re: other outboard: All mixdown compression/EQ/reverb is plugins that came with the 002. So Waves, digi plugs, some Bomb Factory stuff. Except for the delay on "Mrs. Wasp," that's the Roland SRE-555 tape echo.
Last edited by JGriffin on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:57 pm

There's 3 tracks here from my album Peep:
http://www.laughing-stock.org/mp3/killedinstantly.mp3
http://www.laughing-stock.org/mp3/paleblue.mp3
http://www.laughing-stock.org/mp3/peep.mp3

They were all mixed in the box with Pro Tools LE. The FMR RNP was used for the preamp on 90% of the tracking for this record. Plug-ins during mixdown were mostly McDSP and Waves EQ, McDSP Analog Channel, Bombfactory and McDSP comps, and a couple reverbs here and there (Waves I think). We did run a stereo outboard compressor on a bunch of the drum submixes (using channel inserts during mixdown), but the majority of the processing was done in the box.

For more on the recording process of this album, see the link in my sig....

Cheers,
Leigh

PS: I should mention that these tracks have been mastered professionally too....