Ween, Anyone ??

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:58 pm

AstroDan wrote:Ween kind of scare me. They're freaky geniuses that can nail any genre.
Yeah, seriously...Freedom is one of the best smooth jazz / r&b tunes I've ever heard. And Blarney Stone is the quintessential...uh...drunken, angry Irish pub song.

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nesta » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:24 pm

mjau wrote: Yeah, seriously...Freedom is one of the best smooth jazz / r&b tunes I've ever heard. And Blarney Stone is the quintessential...uh...drunken, angry Irish pub song.
amen..and can i get a witness on both accounts...i only have 3 things to say:

1. how 'bout "baby bitch" as the most beautiful "love" song ever!

2. some of the best shows i have ever seen in my life have been ween shows.

3. i'd love to be a fly on the wall while andrew weiss is working on a ween album

nesta

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:49 pm

and "l.m.l.y.p." = ween is in big trouble dudes..
is the dance floor jam

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:47 pm

Mr PC wrote:I saw Ween in NYC on their tour for the country record. What a hilarious show, and a good one. It was really cool that they had real Nashville session guys playing with them. Some of the guys were pretty old. I remember them looking at each other during "Piss Up a Rope" as if to say "what the hell did we get into?". They did seem to enjoy it, though.

PC
Yeah, I remember the looks on the faces of the session players, as well. That tour sold me. Though I was hooked from "Poop Ship Destroyer". They played a 20-30 minute version of "Fluffy" at the Seattle show, in the middle of which they broke into something by Prince...and Gene was dry humping the top of their grande piano and screaming into the mic. Rock and Roll. Beautiful. That's what I really like about Ween. They didn't really try to be anything specific. They just had fun. I'm kinda bummed that I haven't heard anything from them in a while.

foodforthemoon
ass engineer

Post by foodforthemoon » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:47 am

whatchamachicken wrote: Another of my favorites is "The Meadow" and I have no idea what it's from.
That's from Z-Rock Hawaii - a collaboration between Ween and the Boredoms. Sadly OOP. Their remix of Yoko ONo's "Ask the Dragon" is amazing.

foodforthemoon
ass engineer

Post by foodforthemoon » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:48 am

Tatertot wrote:Somewhere buried in GodWeenSatan there is a fantastic impersonation of Bruce Springsteen that lasts all of fifteen seconds. Genius.
I always figured that was a spot-on impersonation of Bob Seger.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:00 am

fuK! didn't know ask the dragon was yoko...