"Unsettling" recordings

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:27 pm

KRZYSTOF PENDERECKI:

Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima
Dimensions of Time and Silence
Polymorphia - to further reference Kubrick's 'The Shining' (All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy)

Caspar Brotzmann Massacre

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:44 pm

Yeah. The Cure, Joy Division, all that early 80's English post-punk, more-punk-than-punk, out-punk-punk stuff that I can't seem to outgrow.

I don't know why. They (the creators) certainly did.

sara_tonin
studio intern

Post by sara_tonin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:08 pm

"i just got Sunn 0))): The Black One... very unsettling record"

Apparently seeing that band live makes many people runniing to the bathroom due to them playing the lowest possible frequencies. Kinda like the brown noise...weird.
?Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Ernest Hemingway

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:48 pm

Not in my experience, sara, but you can certainly feel it in your nether regions...

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:09 am

I get that feeling on a quick descent down a certain freeway overpass.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:01 am

FENder6 wrote:*Track 2 ("Always and Never") from the new Coheed and Cambria disc "Good Apollo" - a Floyd-ish acoustic number that ends with the lines:

To kill all of you

- Billy
Great stuff, im glad to find another Coheed fan around these parts.

Aphex Twin - (most of his stuff) but especially Selected Ambient..Vol.2

I think System of a Down wins creepyest intro for "Prison Song" on Toxicity
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:01 pm

lambchop-whitey (single)

this record is what i would call unsettling. not to mention really good.
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:15 pm

My friend is friends with Sunn-O)))

One night, kinda late, one of the members popped by for a visit. She had some of the music (then unreleased) on her laptop. They hooked it up to the stereo (my buddy has a whompin' stereo - way too big for his apartment). The music began to play and was vibrating the crud out of the place.

The neighbor dropped by, bleary, and asked them to turn it down. He said "it looks like my wall is melting..." The neighbor was not on drugs.

I love that story.

-TimT
Post-Punk Power Pop
Popstar Assassins
http://www.popstarassassins.com/

trianglelines
takin' a dinner break

Post by trianglelines » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:17 pm

OH,

and "fabulous muscles" by Xiu Xiu is frigging unsettling, like Autechre(also unsettling) with Bizarro Morrissey crooning tunes about gay lust and other topics.

-TimT
Post-Punk Power Pop
Popstar Assassins
http://www.popstarassassins.com/

komputor
audio school graduate

Post by komputor » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:25 am

First time I heard "Ethnicolor" on Jean-Michel Jarre's Zoolook album, I was 11 or 12 years old and got really frightened. That weird animal calling sound still freaks me out.

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:12 am

Frank Zappa's "Lumpy Gravy" has always bugged me quite a bit... the whole series of conversations in there all cut up between these two women (or maybe one) having a normal sort of tone to their voices, but the context is rearranged and sounds friggin terrifying to me at least.

Anything off of "First Utterance" by Comus. If you've heard it, you know what I mean.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:28 am

Years ago I was visitng a friend, and he asked me if I wanted to hear a tape of Charles Manson songs. It was demo tape of Manson's original tunes, just him humming and strumming, when he was still wanting to be a rock star and hadn't started murdering, yet.

The feelings that this "music" conjured up in me define the term unsettling. A lot of the examples in this thread are tunes that were designed intentionally by their respective bands to be odd and dark, but this collection of Manson's songs, being earnest attempts at normal pop tunes, filled me with dread, fear, and a strong sense of extreme mental illness, all soaked in a subtle evil vibe.

Out-of-tune singing, odd melodies that didn't fit the chords, a tempo that shifted dramatically from moment to moment... I couldn't listen to the entire tape, it disturbed me so much, and I have no desire to ever hear it again...

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:36 am

i never head that manson tape, but i thought i heard one with a bunch of people singing along on a couple of songs. didnt terry melcher record him?
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:36 pm

Manson did several recordings over the years - the best one (in my opinion) is "All the Way Alive", out of print from People's Temple Records, which is just him and his guitar, singing short bursts of music and ranting in between to someone (might be Melcher - that seemed to ring a bell) about his general ideas on love, Jesus, crime, etc. and yeah, definitely disturbed - he's got this laugh...shudder
i would say the only reason some of his stuff never made it was that A) he never seemed to be able to finish a song and B) all his songs sound simultaneously like everything and nothing you've ever heard before, if that's possible
Village Idiot.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:39 pm

oh yeah, and as far as "back when he just wanted to be a rock star"? No way man - he wrote stuff that was designed to incite riot. Read "Helter Skelter" for his views on Revelation 9 and Revolution 9
Village Idiot.