Recent CDs you should check out

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Recent CDs you should check out

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:38 am

I meant to post this a week or so ago when I picked up my last 4 CDs. They are all really good.

Shadows Fall - The War Within : Caught these guys on headbangers ball.

Fu Manchu - Start The Machine : Great. Bought it cuz my guitarist told me a recent progression I recorded reminded him of them.

Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus : Sounds like Clutch is getting back to their older, less produced sound. I love it.

Mastadon - Leviathan : Had heard about these guys in the past, but saw them play live on MTV2. Album is great. One of my new favorites.

mus1k_freak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mus1k_freak » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:00 pm

ah yea shadows fall album is good stuff, similar to killswitch which i happen to be a big fan of :lol:
doctors practice, musicians perform

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:37 pm

There's this guy named Ross Rice who used to be in a band in Nashville called Human Radio. Really cool power-pop kind of stuff. Anyway, he put out a solo album, which I just heard. It's really good. More Owsley-sounding and straight-up rocking than the Human Radio stuff.

I also just heard a bunch of Imperial Drag outtakes and B-Sides. Holy crap is that stuff awesome. I totally see why it didn't make the record-- not because it wasn't up to par or anything, just because it's all over the map. Some of it sounds like the Bay City Rollers and some of it sounds like Kiss. Amazing, those guy were...

Also have it on good authority that the new Roger Manning solo record is going to be really good.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:23 pm

I just picked up Imogen Heap's "Speak for Yourself" on a whim. I heard Billy Gibbons mention her in a radio interview on Thanksgiving Day. Recently my friend Steve mentioned her. I was a Best Buy with a gift certificate and saw it. It's kinda cool. Very produced, but not bland. It hasn?t really grabbed me, but it?s interesting...

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:29 pm

I've been digging the Imogen Heap record a lot.

Other than that, I have been filling out my collection with older records (the crappy thing about being youg, we have a lot of music that we missed so I have to go back and discover it)... here is the list.

Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls and Marches
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
The Sonics - Here are the Sonics

And others... all great, all in my Top 100 right now, just waiting to come across more stuff to buy.

Josh

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:49 pm

Cat Power - The Greatest. Just got it today. It's uhhhh... the greatest.

But seriously, it's cool. Old school and gorgeous. Recorded at Ardent in Memphis with Teenie Hodges (Al Green's guitarist and songwriting partner), Flick Hodges, Steve Potts and others. She's touring with them in a few weeks. Wish she was headed this way, but apparently not on this leg.

Rivers
gettin' sounds

Post by Rivers » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:12 pm

cgarges wrote:There's this guy named Ross Rice who used to be in a band in Nashville called Human Radio. Really cool power-pop kind of stuff. Anyway, he put out a solo album, which I just heard. It's really good. More Owsley-sounding and straight-up rocking than the Human Radio stuff.

I also just heard a bunch of Imperial Drag outtakes and B-Sides. Holy crap is that stuff awesome. I totally see why it didn't make the record-- not because it wasn't up to par or anything, just because it's all over the map. Some of it sounds like the Bay City Rollers and some of it sounds like Kiss. Amazing, those guy were...

Also have it on good authority that the new Roger Manning solo record is going to be really good.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Slight correction for the all the anal retentives out there.

Human Radio was actually from Memphis.

I do think Ross has lived in Nashville for several years but you're right he's a talented guy.
Smell the Magic.
www.katp.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:19 pm

Rivers wrote:Slight correction for the all the anal retentives out there.

Human Radio was actually from Memphis.
Really? I had always heard they were from Nashville and lot of Nashville guys I know were really into them. Interesting. I did not know that. They were a very cool band.

Ross' record (Umpteen) is really great. Definitely worth checking out for all you power pop fans out there.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Rivers
gettin' sounds

Post by Rivers » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah they started out in Memphis I think 1988.The first album("Me and Elvis" was the single) got a bit of major label push but didn't really sell and they broke up a few years later.
I do think most of the band may live in Nasville now.I think Kye Kennedy(Guitarist) is a Amp guru now.
Smell the Magic.
www.katp.com

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:51 pm

I'll second the new Cat Power. I also like the new Loose Fur. It's called Born Again in the USA. The Life Pursuit by Belle and Sebastian (their newest) is also really good. Other than that, I've been listening to early T.Rex, that stuff never fails to blow my mind.

Bart

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:05 pm

the newish talking heads live thing

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:19 pm

my most recent purchases....

NEUROSIS: 'A Sun That Never Sets' - can't take this out of my cd player. the violin tracks alone make it incredible. listening to it loud, in headphones is such a great experience. their albums never disappoint.

NASUM: 'Grind Finale' - 152 tracks of grind. it's a collection of 7"'s, outtakes, compilation material and other unreleased stuff spanning their entire career. lots of really raw recordings, which i love, as well as some very well produced stuff.

NIRVANA: 'In Utero' - bought a used copy. my original one got robbed. :? definately my favorite album by them.

TEAM SLEEP: also used copy. chino from the deftones side project. pretty interesting. there are a couple songs that i really don't like at all, but there's some nice blending of electronic music and spacey rock on there. a few different producers are credited as well (terry date among them)...

i'm waiting on some money so i can get the new Cat Power. my lady and i are going to see her at Town Hall in NYC on 2/14. we're looking forward to that.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:30 pm

Holy Fuck - "Holy Fuck"
Electronic music using live drums and bass, and several toy keyboards. No programming. Very fun. Good driving music. Better driving drunk music.

Don Caballero - "Currently Untitled Next Album"
I managed to score some demo/preproduction recordings of Don Cab's next album. The recording/mix is terrible (it's a demo.) but once you get over that, the songs are pretty gnarly. It seems they've replaced relentless tapping with...well, relentless amounts of baritone guitar. A couple of the songs are, in my opinion, some of the band's best work. I await the real album and the tour that will surely follow.

Ahleuchatistas - "What You Will"
Frantic, schizo mathrock kinda stuff. These guys need to slow down before they get hurt.

Cinemechanica - "The Martial Arts"
Athens, GA band that is really good. Self recorded at their Manley Console Studio they run out of their house. Sounds great. Dueling guitars, really soulful drumming, and two guys yelling. They're also incredible live, and will be going on tour for a month like...next week or something. Check out their myspace page for dates. You'll thank me. And them. For being really good. They're also on ebaumsworld.com right now playing as "Contraband", if you're a fan of NES music. http://www.myspace.com/cinemechanica

Planker
audio school

Re: Recent CDs you should check out

Post by Planker » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:05 am

The song REDBEARD is great.
The wind is the bearer of bad and good tidings, the weaver of darkness, the bringer of dawn.
The wind gives the rain, then builds us a rainbow, the wind is the singer who sang the first song.
...the man, the myth, the legend- John Denver

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Recent CDs you should check out

Post by Spark » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:57 pm

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:I meant to post this a week or so ago when I
Fu Manchu - Start The Machine : Great. Bought it cuz my guitarist told me a recent progression I recorded reminded him of them.

Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus : Sounds like Clutch is getting back to their older, less produced sound. I love it.
I think these are my two favourite bands of the last couple of years. Thank god someone is keeping the riff alive.