Mistakes in famous recordings

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:23 pm

In John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things", does McCoy Tyner make a boo-boo during his solo, or am I just imagining it? :shock:

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:04 am

on the Smashing pumpkins song 'soothe' which was actually more of a demo than a real recording, you can hear a bus drive by the appartment they were recording in, right near the end. It always makes me picture a hot day in Chicago.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:52 am

shedshrine wrote:In John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things", does McCoy Tyner make a boo-boo during his solo, or am I just imagining it? :shock:
Well, how about Tommy Flanagan's entire solo on "Giant Steps?" The poor guy's been playing that tune on every gig of his life since then to prove to people that he actually went and learned the changes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:13 am

How about that piano that comes in right in the middle of The Runaways' "American Nights". *VOMIT* Whoever the hell put that there should be summarily castrated. "Hey, I have an idea... let's put the Layla outro right in the middle of a song that rocks balls.

Moron.
Heurh!

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

Post by ideaofnorth » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:19 am

lots of good ones here. the only one i can think of offhand is the creation's "making time". the bass player switches to the bridge a measure early. very noticeable, but of course, the song is awesome. they were smart to keep the take, i think.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:27 am

The ghosting on Whole Lotta Love is pre-print, innit?

Dylan's Desire album sound like all first takes, flubs galore -- one of my absolute fave records. Howie Wyeth is all over the place is such a great way, and Emmylou is gamely trying to follow along (supposedly reading off a lyric sheet). On Black Diamond Bay the whole band gets lost for a couple of bars in the middle, and then comes whirling back to the beat in such a great way.

They need to let people make records like that again.

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:30 pm

gotta a good one....
i used to date stephen hague's ex-wife...he's produced almost all of the petshopboys, new order albums. so in the begining of the song "west end girls", you hear that downtown sound with traffic...you can hear a pedestrian walking by saying "look! it's sting!" funnier than shit cause stephen hague looks like sting and he got a kick out of it.
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:21 pm

dr.ona wrote:i used to date stephen hague's ex-wife...
You got any good dirt on the REM session?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:36 pm

"Black Diamond Bay", best Dylan song ever

It's not really sporting to accuse Dylan of mistakes though, because flubs have always been a crucial part of his M.O.

Well, maybe we can say that the Dylan and the Dead album was a bit of a mistake...

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:18 pm

just small stuff about the pet shop boys....OMD...peter gabriel...ric ocasec...joe cocker...tony leven...jules and the polar bears. i know that stephen was one of the first "in demand" midi programers. he has practically written all the pet shop boys early songs along with new order and OMD. that was when he caught the eye of peter gabriel. i've got a list of his studio equipment from i think 1985-86. some funny stuff...commodore 64ish type gear :)
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

californiawizkids
pluggin' in mics

Post by californiawizkids » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 pm

Shields wrote:The alarm clock in 'Day in the Life' right before Paul's middle eight.
That isn't a mistake, it the alarm that "wakes him up" in the bridge ("Woke up, got out of bed..")

There are plenty of flubbed notes in old jazz recordings, especially Miles Davis, like in the beginning of 'Round Midnight. The great thing about those recordings is that it is all about the group performance and feel, not about getting every last note right until it is sterile.

thesimulacre
takin' a dinner break

Post by thesimulacre » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:18 am

Tatertot wrote: Maybe the next decade will find us comparing different ways to accurately and artfully capture the kick drum pedal, with certain brands and vintages of pedal being highly sought-after in the quest for the stylin' sound.
Behold! It has already begun.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~winnie-/gallery/ ... dals1.html

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:20 am

When is this fabled Gadd click? 4:57?

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Tot,

I'm with you on Black Diamond Bay.

I guess you're right -- it's not a "mistake" if you haven't bothered to show the tune to the band.

Mr. Wyeth is the star of that record.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:16 pm

cgarges wrote:
shedshrine wrote:In John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things", does McCoy Tyner make a boo-boo during his solo, or am I just imagining it? :shock:
Well, how about Tommy Flanagan's entire solo on "Giant Steps?" The poor guy's been playing that tune on every gig of his life since then to prove to people that he actually went and learned the changes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
But yet...on the alternate takes, he does pretty okay that Tommy Flanagan! It's just that the take that has the best Trane solo has the weakest piano solo. Poor guy...
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly