Acclaimed recs that you're "just not that into"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:04 pm

MD

overnight wrote:
I have a hard time rockin' out to that creeky voice going on-and-on about robots and slime monsters and animal friendships.

Awesome. That's the funniest thing I've read on TOMB in a long time. (And I really like The Flaming Lips).
I am mystified by the acclaim for this band. They are kinda interesting but not great. I saw that Austin City Limits performance and it was not bad with the exception of that Catpower lady. She couldn't sing to save her life...

bitsyras
pluggin' in mics

Post by bitsyras » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:56 pm

Way way back in the day, the band I was in drove around with a sound guy whose favorite reference cd was Little Feat. We were so NOT Little Feat. We were trying to convey sort of a gothy heavy vibe and this guy would be tuning his system with fucking Dixie Chicken while the crowd walked in. Made it difficult to come on stage and be all dark and scary. To this day I can't stand that band.

It's a real subjective/situational thing, whether you get a band or not. Especially during those "formative" years. Like whatever you were listening to the first time you got ripped or had an intense romantic encounter has probably stayed with you as being some of the greatest music ever, regardless of who it was.

trumpetgunk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by trumpetgunk » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:28 am

Going back to the first post: John Coltrane. Even when I was studying music, I still just didn't quite get the hype over some of his albums. Additionally, I always felt that some of the popular Miles albums were way overhyped and I just wasn't that into them. I absolutely refused to by "Kind of Blue" because it felt like I was "selling out." "In a Silent Way" has become one of my favorite Miles albums but only because I listened to the Mark Isham version first.

Steely Dan: I hear the great production but I'm not into the music.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:30 am

"Horses", Patti Smith. Ugh. Sorry.

Justine_X
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Justine_X » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:11 pm

I agree with a lot of the posts here as overrated "seminal" and acclaimed stuff, but my personal #1 is THE BEATLES.

For their inventiveness, the energetic early stuff, the White Album, etc. -- I guess I can dig it if someone puts it on. I try to.

But at the same time.... I just can't. I get edgy and agitated after a while. And then can't stand it anymore.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Never got why Eno and Roxy Music were "acclaimed" maybe in the context of the 1970s they were something... but I don't dig it at all.

check out the roxy music mimed performance of "do the strand" on old grey whistle test vol 1" painful song

oh, i do like the instrumental in "do the strand"

pshew, i'm not all bad.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:46 pm

I must confess, the Rolling Stones do nothing for me. Just a couple of songs here and there. Neither does Van Halen, Journey, Forigner, Steely Dan, and the like. A lot of Pink Floyd stuff bores me, but there's also a lot that I like as well, so I can't write them off.

Hmm, more will come to me, I'm sure.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:11 pm

love me some steely dan, although thats the band to hate.

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:57 am

This thread is fascinating.

I totally agree with this:
"I like pavement fine, but why is Slanted so over rated and a good record like "Brighten the corners" just ignored?"
I'm pretty amazed at how many people said the Beatles. And also that so many people like Rush. Geddy Lee's voice could strip enamel off teeth.

Oh, and the new Cat Power record is BEAUTIFUL. (And I hate her Covers record.)

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 pm

Bruce Springsteen.

With the exception of Nebraska (which is a pretty good record), everything I've heard sounds cliche ridden and bombastic. Bob Seger can write circles around old Bruuuce. What do people see in him?
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:23 pm

trumpetgunk wrote:Going back to the first post: John Coltrane. Even when I was studying music, I still just didn't quite get the hype over some of his albums. Additionally, I always felt that some of the popular Miles albums were way overhyped and I just wasn't that into them. I absolutely refused to by "Kind of Blue" because it felt like I was "selling out." "In a Silent Way" has become one of my favorite Miles albums but only because I listened to the Mark Isham version first.

Steely Dan: I hear the great production but I'm not into the music.
Too bad! John Coltrane was one (IMHO) of the great artistic visionaries of the 20th Century. It's not really music for study as it seems you're saying here...it's music for the feeling of raw power and emotion, not cerebral notation. Now go buy A Love Supreme...

and I don't get BRUUUUUCE sometimes either...but I already dedicated a whole thread to that mess.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:52 pm

Whoa..... Some of my favorite records are getting the diss!
I LOVE _Loveless_. It's one of my top records of all time. And Bowie? Some people don't dig Bowie? What gives?
I also love Radiohead of all eras (even - and especially - the post-Bends stuff) and the Flaming Lips, and Giant Steps. Hell, I even like (gasp) Steely Dan - although I don't often admit to it.
But as to overhyped stuff: (and obviously many beg to differ)
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Metallica
AC/DC
G'n'R (why is it some people who should know better still think they rocked?)
Wilco never did it for me, although I suppose they're good at what they do.
I never used to get Nevermind, but it's definitely grown on me over the years.

I'm not even going to bother with all the mainstream recent stuff, because we're all snobs here. right?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:03 pm

I never got the smiths, always found them boring and dull.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:52 am

Rigsby wrote:I never got the smiths, always found them boring and dull.
If I ever get over to the UK again I'm buying you a pint for having the nards to say that. And another for being right.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 am

not going to read all 7 pages here, but ill say:

anything by pink floyd and *gasp* the beatles. not my cup of tea musically, but more importantly, sonically. they're kinda novel to me though, and i appreciate that. I can still enjoy listening to them sometimes 8)
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com