Acclaimed recs that you're "just not that into"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:52 am

A smattering representation:

--Sleater-Kinney (sp?)
--Spoon (though I like the occasional song, I dislike the voice)
--Doors
--Pink Floyd
--Grateful Dead
--Jay Z
--White Stripes
--Beach Boys (I really don't get it)
--John Cage
--Most of the experimental stuff so beloved in Chicago (e.g., I really tried to like Town & Country, and I do for about 20 seconds every half hour)

But this is a funny topic because I bet in 10 years some may fall off my list, some I listen to now will be added. For example, 10 years ago I'd have included Led Zep, but now I'm kind of digging them.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:34 pm

I almost made a friend cry one time when she was excitedly playing Sleater-Kinney for her and I exclaimed "Hey this sounds exactly like Rush!"

That was pretty much the end of that particular friendship.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:16 am

To me, Loveless is very much a great record given the context as far as when it came out. For all the talk about Nevermind, it can't really hold a candle to Loveless. Nirvana made a record that was pretty mainstream(for all of the hype that would lead you to believe otherwise) Or you could take Use Your Illusion I & II. For all of the double record hype/megolomania theres really not one moment on any of those three records that can hold a candle to Loveless. I always see it from the memory of what a revalation it was at the time. It's also that for all of the Wilco sort of trippin(label heads saying Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was to stand-offish to be able to sell/market) Listen to Yankee Hotel, then listen to Loveless. Considering how widely YHF is considerd to be some dark horse work, it always sounds like the Partridge Family when I way it against Loveless. Last, it really did bring an entirely new pallette of sounds to the table in a way that I don't think anyone since Jimi Hendrix had. So if I was going to try to sell someone on why: First, I really do like it. Second, how many records these days can you buy that lack any sort of a real antecedent? I can really only come up with a few but, Loveless is one of the ones I usually think of,

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:20 am

Sorry about the rant. Back on Topic. Am I the only one who almost finds himself turned off on Zepp not by the fact that I don't like/get the records but, that Jimmy Page is always on about how he had a sitar before George Harrison?

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:10 am

here's one that's close to my home..
"i against i" is a piece of shit in a huge way..
roir/black dots are albums that i can't stop listening to..

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:57 am

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:here's one that's close to my home..
"i against i" is a piece of shit in a huge way..
roir/black dots are albums that i can't stop listening to..
You must *really* hate "Quickness"

MD
gettin' sounds

Post by MD » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:32 am

overnight wrote:I have a hard time rockin' out to that creeky voice going on-and-on about robots and slime monsters and animal friendships.
Awesome. That's the funniest thing I've read on TOMB in a long time. (And I really like The Flaming Lips).

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:37 am

I have to say I really don't understand most of the velvet underground stuff.

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:35 pm

Tatertot wrote:I almost made a friend cry one time when she was excitedly playing Sleater-Kinney for her and I exclaimed "Hey this sounds exactly like Rush!"

That was pretty much the end of that particular friendship.
You are the only person that i have heard mention this as well... she really reminds me of "Caress of Steel" era Geddy Lee.

I have tried to cleanse the rush from my life, the madness of my early teens, and every-time i think I'm out, they pull me back in.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:00 pm

For some reason Rush remains somewhat unacceptable. If we were doing a 'guilty pleasures' thread (which has been done in the past) I think they would show up frequently.

My dear long-lost friend could not have taken my Rush comparison as a compliment to Sleater-Kinney but it genuinely was meant to be one.

In making this post I am in no way endorsing the Geddy Lee solo album.

spatrick78
audio school graduate

Post by spatrick78 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:28 pm

Pavement. Clash. Clap your hands, Say yeah...
Reaaaaaaly hate pavement tho.... like... a whole lot....
I second Exile on main street... Modest Mouse...
Pavement.... Steven Malkamus... uh.... PAVEMENT.....
Anybody that claims Pavement as an influence or
any bands that share members with.... you guessed it...
Pavement... Any "Flavor of the week" Band that Pitchfork
is gooing all over... <cause they usually sound like you
know who...>

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:03 pm

DGoody wrote:. Coheed and Cambria and My Chemical Romance are quite possible the most overrated bands in history. I know most of you probably don't see them as "acclaimed", but for mainstream music audiences, they most certainly are.
that's odd to single out those bands. i don't like them either, but can you really show how they are any more "overrated" than 90% of the other popular acts from the past 30 years? it's just the nature of the beast. i think pop music categorically speaking, is music that has a wide rift between the quality of music and the attention it gets. besides, most of the people who like bands such as those are kids. and the fact that they are included in "mainstream" music does not automatically mean they are "acclaimed." sure, they sell a bunch of records. But it's like saying that their fans like them, so therefore they are acclaimed. Nobody is going to remember who coheed and cambria are in 10 years, they're not going to stand the test of time along with the vast majority of their peers.

this thread was more interesting when it was people talking about why they don't like certain iconic albums, not just listing bands they don't like.

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:32 am

xSALx wrote:I have to say I really don't understand most of the velvet underground stuff.

oh man, I'm so sorry.....

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:12 am

The First Pavement record... (not really acclaimed to death per se, but starting to get it's fare share of hype once that new reissue came out).

I like pavement fine, but why is Slanted so over rated and a good record like "Brighten the corners" just ignored?

Ziggy Stardust... I love it and all, but i gotta go with Hunky Dory over it. To be fair, both of those records get a good heaping of praise, so i don't know if it matters to the conversation.

But i like typing!

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 pm

It took me almost 6 years to get into Slanted Enchanted, but I recently found it on vinyl and I've been really enjoying it.

Exile on Main Street has always been an extremely over-rated record in my opinion. I like the Stones about 50% of the time. Most of their records have some incredible songs on them, but there's a lot of crap(again, in my opinion) on those records that I just can't get into.