Acclaimed recs that you're "just not that into"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:46 am

agauchede wrote:Steely Dan.

I like the recording and can listen based on production merits alone, but does anybody really get into the music?
I liked the music long before I was able to appreciate the production.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:31 pm

Any and all Pink Floyd after Sid went crazy.
All Led Zeplin.
Most of Radio Head's work.
All Flaming Lips after Clouds Taste Metallic (which I love). All David Fridman after Clouds Taste Matallic (too many Kermit The Frog vocals backed by huge drums).

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:38 pm

John Jeffers wrote:
agauchede wrote:Steely Dan.

I like the recording and can listen based on production merits alone, but does anybody really get into the music?
I liked the music long before I was able to appreciate the production.
Same for me. Music AND lyrics, actually. I think some of their lyrics are ace.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:14 pm

dwlb wrote:
lyman wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Okay, does anybody actually like Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst (I mean besides the thousands of screaming fourteen-year-old girls)? He certainly qualifies for mention in this thread because the press went nuts over his last two albums and his gloomy, sullen mug was everywhere for about two months a year ago.

I think Mr. Oberst is the exact opposite of a "musician's musician".
it's an acquired taste.
They say that about cigarettes as well...isn't it usually shorthand for "totally awful until you're used to it enough that it doesn't bother you anymore?"
yes. what does that prove though?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:07 pm

lyman wrote:
dwlb wrote:
lyman wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Okay, does anybody actually like Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst (I mean besides the thousands of screaming fourteen-year-old girls)? He certainly qualifies for mention in this thread because the press went nuts over his last two albums and his gloomy, sullen mug was everywhere for about two months a year ago.

I think Mr. Oberst is the exact opposite of a "musician's musician".
it's an acquired taste.
They say that about cigarettes as well...isn't it usually shorthand for "totally awful until you're used to it enough that it doesn't bother you anymore?"
yes. what does that prove though?

Not a blessed thing.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:33 pm

anything pearl jam....
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

jimbabwe
audio school graduate

Post by jimbabwe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:03 pm

4 Non-Blondes

Rick Astley

Billy Ocean
signature

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:26 pm

The Ramones, Suicidal Tendancies, KISS, John Mayar, Jack Johnson..

I could go on forever. I guess I just don't get some things. I could understand not getting Pink Floyd, even though I like them quite a bit. I can understand why a lot of people dislike a lot of music, but I can't for a second understand what anyone is seeing in any of those bands.. At all..

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:42 pm

Oh, my Number One: The Cure.

Not the worst. I could see the draw. But too much "boo hoo, love is complicated", 40 year old man writing junior high school girl's journal lyrics, with wannabe Smith's music to accompany and arena rock production.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

MajorEverettMiller
ass engineer

Post by MajorEverettMiller » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:09 am

The Smiths/Morrissey make me ill.

Cure
U2
Pavement
MBV
Pixies
Bowie
Dylan

And so much more...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:50 am

I've got to add Fleetwood Mac and ELO.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:52 am

mjau wrote:
drumsound wrote:Anything done by Mutt Lange that does not involve druken Aussies...
OK, as long as you make that exception, I'm with you all the way.
J Hall and I have a theory on Back in Black. They did that record at Coompas Point in the Bahamas. We figure that Mutt showed up on day one, listened a bit and said "Yep sounds like AC/DC. I'm going to the beach, you guys keep tracking."

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:30 am

U2-How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb -hate this album! It sucks. I didn't like the last one either. Bono needs to quit trying to save everything and save his band from mediocrity...

most White Stripes stuff-I'll admit the prodcution of Elephant is real good though.

The new Coldplay, X and Y is not nearly as good as "A Rush of Blood to the Head" Mostly the music is not as good. Production is about the same. I loved "Rush" though. Great album.

Flaming Lips are way overrated.

I don't like the Church either but the production is unique at least.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:32 am

MBV - loveless.

Tried several times and just can't do it. I know it's supposed to be a quintessential guitar album, but...isn't that a drum machine?... Criminal! ICK.

Anything Modest Mouse.

Anything Black Sabbath/Ozzy... Absolutely HATE his voice, and the music just bores me to tears, although I must give props to the seminal nature of it.

Death Cab for Cutie: Cool sounding music, lyrics are good etc., but his voice is so post flaming lips that I just want to strangle him. Get your own style!!!!!

I'm a huge U2 fan but I have to agree with the last two albums kind of sucking big time. So mediocre, I wish they would forget about "being U2", and go back to searching for something interesting.

Don't know if Coldplay's X&Y is very "acclaimed", but it just plain sucks ass.

Regarding Bob Seger: "night moves", IMHO, is one of the best songs ever written about realizing that your youth is gone. When he wakes up in the middle of the night at the end of the song and it hits him how long ago it all was.... fuckin' BAM.
The whole tone, meaning and perspective of the song changes in an instant. That's just classy songwriting right there.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:50 am

I am starting to think that MBV's "Loveless" is THE album that many people acknowledge as seminal but nobody actually enjoys.

I, too, have tried to get into it and all I can say is: WTF? Maybe if I were british...