[indie pop] whatcha think of this tune & mix?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

garret
audio school graduate

[indie pop] whatcha think of this tune & mix?

Post by garret » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:02 am

Howdy gents... I'm working through pulling together my tunes for shopping/hopeful release.

Here's one that seems to be getting close... What do you think? Likes/dislikes/ideas for improvement...

http://www.worksongs.net/2006/work/silverking19ms.mp3

Best,
-Garret

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:36 am

you've got a pretty cool thing going, nice balance, interesting drum tone... its not my style, but it's nice and tight, moves well, etc...

maybe it's just an encoding/quicktime problem, but i heard a pop almost once a measure. sounded like bad edits without crossfades to me. i would definitely be sure to listen to everything in headphones...dont mix through the headphones, just listen really closely for extraneous noises like pops and clicks that completely undermine all the hard work you've done. if you get this mastered, the poor ME's going to have use a de-clicker way, way too often, and it will effect the whole track negatively.

do you have an external clock, or no clock and multiple digital devices? it could be a synch problem too, i think.

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:42 am

yeah there's a "click" thats very audible in the intro

very LARGE full sounding recording.. LUSH... reminds me of something the Lilies or Ladybug Transister would do...

i like it .. the break is unexpected and very nice... the weird filtered drum looping and the way the track comes back is very nice.

good stuff man

garret
audio school graduate

Post by garret » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:54 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:you've got a pretty cool thing going, nice balance, interesting drum tone... its not my style, but it's nice and tight, moves well, etc...

maybe it's just an encoding/quicktime problem, but i heard a pop almost once a measure. sounded like bad edits without crossfades to me. i would definitely be sure to listen to everything in headphones...dont mix through the headphones, just listen really closely for extraneous noises like pops and clicks that completely undermine all the hard work you've done. if you get this mastered, the poor ME's going to have use a de-clicker way, way too often, and it will effect the whole track negatively.

do you have an external clock, or no clock and multiple digital devices? it could be a synch problem too, i think.
Thanks for the feedback... I hope what you're hearing is the cheap and harsh mastering job I did last night... I noticed this morning some audible clips when the kick gets rounded off too hard... ack. I like ot do a rough mastering for review purposes (there's some magic mix glue in the limiting process), but I'd of course get the album properly mastered if/when it gets released. Maybe I should repost with the unmastered track so you can judge that...

You're very right about listening with headphones. I re-learned that recently after thinking I had some mixes finished that I only reviewed on my monitors... I heard em the next morning on headphones at work and couldn't believe all the junk I was hearing. Background noise in the vocal track, bad edits, etc...

Internally clocked... the only recorded stuff is the vocals, acoustic guitar, and the rock drums that come in after the break.. the rest is samples.

-Garret

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:04 am

yeah, i meant to ask if the bass was made from samples. the clicks seemed to come right where a bass note region would begin if it was cut and pasted together.

a poor self mastering with a brickwall limiter shouldn't yield those noises.

otherwise, very nice!

garret
audio school graduate

Post by garret » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:10 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:yeah, i meant to ask if the bass was made from samples. the clicks seemed to come right where a bass note region would begin if it was cut and pasted together.

a poor self mastering with a brickwall limiter shouldn't yield those noises.

otherwise, very nice!
Interesting. I've never noticed any clicking using sampletank/sonic synth bass... I'll post a non-limited version and we'll see if you still hear the clicks. Thanks for the ears, btw... I've heard these mixes soooo many times now it's really hard for me to hear anything in em.

-G

garret
audio school graduate

Post by garret » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:18 pm

Alright, after further review... it's definitely not my hackwork mastering. :)

I believe the problem is a bad french horn instrument in sampletank2. It just happens that my hackwork arrangement has the horns and bass lined up so much you can't tell where the prob is.

I've been able to reproduce the problem very easily... here I play the same note three times, and hold the last... you can hear little clicks at the start of each note.
http://www.worksongs.net/2006/work/fren ... clicks.mp3

I found some other folks complaining about this, so I hopefully I'll hear back from tech support with a fix. Otherwise I can swap in a different french horn, or switch that part over to a different sampler.. I have garritan personal orchestra now, and it's really great, but a bit trickier to program.

I'll do a quick fix and repost... just to make sure that's what you're hearing.

Best,
-Garret

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:10 pm

this is great. the vocals sound great.

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:18 pm

Just lovely.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.