the best live show you've seen.....

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:42 pm

[quote="fedex"n"man"]at the boathouse in norfolk va.... [/quote]
How great was the Boathouse? I definitely saw some cool shows there, but don't think it's used anymore.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:49 pm

numberthirty wrote: Wilco's first line-up at the end of the AM tour at the Vic in Illinois: It's not like I totally boo everything they've done since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot but, it is a shame more folks didn't get to se this line-up.
It happens that I saw the Wilco AM lineup twice in one night, first at First Ave. (Minneapolis) on a bill with Dirty Three and Pavement, and then later over at a record store. My regret is that I missed most of the Pavement show, which was right when Wowee Zowee came out. Anyway, yeah, good shows.

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:46 am

It's pretty damn hard for me to narrow it down, but I'd have to say any of Ray LaMontagne's performances I've been able to catch, especially when he opened for Rachael Yamagata last year. Drums, stand-up bass, and Ray. It was absolutely beautiful. If you ever have an opportunity to see him live, DO IT!!!

Also, a few years ago I got to see System of a Down right after Toxicity had been released. I was surprised as to how well everything sounded live, especially the harmonies. They were definitely 'tight', but not the way P Diddy says 'tight'.

Oh, and I got to see =w= during their Pinkerton tour @ The Bluenote in Columbia, Missouri (small club) back when they still rocked. Brian rode out on a tricycle to the Monday Night Football theme to start it off. It was freaking awesome.

Okay that's three, sorry.
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:45 pm

oof, that's tough to say. some of the ones that come to mind are:

-the who (while entwhiste was still kickin')
-beck put on a great show the first time i saw him (midnight vultures era)
-radiohead, suprisingly good (i didn't even really dig Kid A and Amnesiac until I saw them doing the songs live)
-guided by voices did a drunken marathon of a gig one of the many times i saw them, and i loved every minute.
-ween on 'the mollusk' tour were really good, maybe i was just skeptical of them as a live band going into it.
-sonic youth were great one of the times i saw them

Catfish
gettin' sounds

Post by Catfish » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:16 pm

Van Halen / Black Sabbath, 78' Fresno (my first concert, what a way to start)
Gonzalo Rubalcaba, 95' Jazz Alley Seattle
Jaco, Word Of Mouth tour, 84ish Hub Ballroom Seattle
Dismemberment Plan, final tour, Off Ramp (graceland) Seattle
King Crimson, Three of a Perfect Pair, 84ish, Paramount Seattle
Mike Keneally / SadHappy, 94ish, Backstage Seattle
Judas Priest, Screaming For Vengeance tour, 83' Reno

Catfish..................

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:12 pm

Lots to choose from, but I'll go with:

Marillion, at the Paradise in Boston, in October 2003. Marbles Tour. It was nearing the end of the tour, so the band were on fire.

Say what you want about Marillion, but they play together as a band as well as anyone. Their music is dense, and has lots of layers, and when they're spot on, lots of energy live.

These guys have been playing together for more than 20 years now. To see them in a 700 seat venue is almost unfair.

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:08 am

At the Cleveland hardcore fest in August 2001, An Albatross and xBxRx played back to back and it was about a half hour of the most astonishing punk rock chaos. An Albatross started and suddenly there were guys in clown suits moshing, the bassist was dry-humping the singer who was flat on his back on the stage, band members were chasing audience members around, the singer kissed me full on the lips. As as soon as they struck their last chord, xBxRx started playing behind us -- they had set up in the middle of the hall during An Albatross' set. The singer stripped down to his underwear, climbed all over the equipment. Before the last song, the drummer handed out pieces of his set and extra sticks to audience members. Everything got knocked over, the band was laying on the ground, and various kids were hitting drums -- a floor tom here, a cymbal there -- as the whole thing came to an end.

That was a good show.

-scott

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:03 pm

One Last Wish, some hall in DC, 1986
Fugazi, DC Space (99 cent show) 1987
Husker Du @ the old 930 club, DC, 1987
Pixies @ the same, DC 1988 or 98 (Doolittle tour)
Sliang Laos (obscure but amazing Richmond band) sometime in 1991 -1992, Richmond.

Even though I missed seeing them, I still feel like the most amazing live band ever would have to be Black Flag in 1985-86. Who could ever top that?

Man, I'm only 34 but this just made me feel really freaking old. Thanks a lot!
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

Sayer
gettin' sounds

Post by Sayer » Wed May 10, 2006 9:10 am

Bellini. anywhere, anytime.

fugazi repeater tour.

sayer
two bpms & three dudes away from a hit.

depthofield
studio intern

: Re: the best live show you've seen.....

Post by depthofield » Wed May 10, 2006 6:01 pm

Oh man.
Elliott Smith at the 328 in Nashville, late spring of 2000. While the opener was playing, a freak thunderstorm hit downtown and during the break, the power for the whole block went out. There were only a few emergency lights in the place, which was packed and getting HOT. No fucking way we were moving from our spot about 4 rows back from the stage, so we stuck it out for about an hour, when they brought a bunch of candles out for ES, who came out and played a handful of songs totally unamplified to a nearly silent crowd. While he played, they were working in the back to get power to whatever they could and gradually the rest of the band came out to play along, the drummer with brushes, bass and keys amped but unmic'd. An amazing performance came from within these constraints. After about a whole set's worth of songs, the power came back on and they did about another hour or so (or so it felt) of more rockin' stuff. I've never seen anything like it. Can't find anyone other than my wife who was there to share the experience with.

Sam Coomes, do you read this board? I'd love to hear the perspective of this show from the stage!

#2- Grant Hart solo, 2001 or '02, Pilot Light in knoxville. Really friendly guy, talked with the crowd and took a bunch of requests. (Superdrag side project) 30 Amp Fuse opened for him and came back out for an encore, backing grant on "Diane", which superdrag had recorded an excellent cover of. Lots of fun. Hung out in the street afterward and talked to grant for about 1/2 hour after helping him load his gear out. He had a lot to say about the history of war in the 20th century, the beauty of the graphic design in classic propaganda posters, and william s. burroughs (after signing my "good news for modern man" cd he signed WSB's photo "I'm DEAD"). And he had a big bag of oranges in his car, which he shared with those of us who were hanging out and with the bums and drunken fratboys who were walking by the bar at 2am.

#3, tie- Ted Leo and Mike Watt, for the reason that the shows of theirs that i saw (not too far apart, in '03 i think) are probably not even standouts for them. I've never seen anyone play with as much intensity, professionalism and mutual love and respect for their fans as either one of these guys.

Long post. Sorry. Back on the lurk wagon with me.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Thu May 11, 2006 11:20 am

NewAndImprov wrote:
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/Secret Cheifs 3 at the WOW hall a few months ago

They are an absolutely stellar live experience!!!

Some of mine:

David Gilmour at the Gibson Amphetheater April 20, 2006. Like watching Floyd, I swear!

Sleepytime/Dredg at the Roxy in late 04

Dredg at the Glasshouse early 02

Alien Ant Farm at the Troubadour late 1999

Tool at Verizon Ampetheater Nov 01.

Primus at the Wiltern - mid 04

GAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

the machine

Post by vibesof20hz » Wed May 17, 2006 5:10 pm

I recently saw The Machine. They are a Pink Floyd tribute group, and their show is also a laser light show. Check em out.

jziggy314
ass engineer

Post by jziggy314 » Thu May 18, 2006 8:23 am

By far the best show I have been to was a 311 concert at Knoxville, TNs World's Fair Park. Just can't beat their shows.
... it all starts with a song ...

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Thu May 18, 2006 11:55 am

I'm surprised to see that only one person cited the Jesus Lizard.

I saw them play at the Lounge Ax in 1991. Breadwinner opened for them. I was standing pressed against the stage when they started off with "Then Comes Dudley". It was so immediately loud and they were so good/terrifying that I lost all sense of where I was and nearly what was going on. Really. The intensity of the emotion was something like overwhelming fear.

Boy, they were really great then.

= Justin

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Mon May 29, 2006 8:03 pm

i just saw the flaming lips show last night in bend oregon. that was by far the best show i've seen! funny stuff....deerhoof was pretty good as well.
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"