pure pop for now people

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

brightpavilions
alignin' 24-trk

pure pop for now people

Post by brightpavilions » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:31 pm

Hey all.

Some say we have the Teenage Fanclub, Replacements, Sloan vibe...

http://www.tinysteps.net/newgoods

Recorded at two houses on PT7. Used anything from an mBox to an 002... a Nueman to an MXL. Three songs from a forthcoming full length. Let me know what you think.

ew@tinysteps.net
http://www.tinysteps.net

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Yes. But are you the Jesus of cool? :wink:
WWRHS?

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:14 am

Had a listen to ?Willing to bet?.

It just didn?t have enough dynamics for me. Kept on wanting the song to take a breath that never seemed to come.

In isolation the individual song parts seem pretty strong melodically, but put together I didn?t think they really went anywhere.

They sound more like variations on a theme rather than different song sections. So in the end it sounds like the song starts with one idea and just repeats it over again and again till the end.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:03 pm

I dig em. On willing to bet, I'm not sure how much dynamics the previous poster is looking for in a pop song. Didn't seem flat to me at all. It's not Mr Bungle, thank god. I really like the guitar sound on this one.

I might try making the snare in did you get it all a good deal brighter. It's nice to be able to hear the acoustic guitar strum in that one.

Will

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:31 am

I?m talking about the dynamics of the song not the dynamics of the instrumentation.

It?s not about loud and quiet it?s about melodies and phrasing and chord colours. It doesn?t have to bash you over the head. Really good songwriters (Like the Teenage Fanclub guys) can use subtle changes to give a simple song depth and richness.

Pretty much any Teenage Fanclub song can pick the listener up and take them in different emotional directions.

I don?t get that sort of thing at all listening to the first song. Emotionally it sounds to me like it jumps up and down on the same spot from the start all the way to the finish.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:18 pm

My problem with Willing to Bet, if you can call it that, is the structure of the tune. It goes from the chorus to the bridge, before the second verse. I think it would've been a tighter tune if you'd saved the bridge until after the second chorus. Other than that, I think it rocks. Recorded well; it grooves; cool mixing & production. Like the way the chords travel, too. Not typical.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:22 pm

Sometimes you just gotta be cruel to be kind ;)
WWRHS?

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:15 pm

Mark wrote:Sometimes you just gotta be cruel to be kind ;)
Is that in reference to me??? I aint being cruel. Trying to be as constructive as possible.

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:37 am

Mark wrote:Sometimes you just gotta be cruel to be kind ;)
ooohhh... that was Lowe... :wink:
INDIE TILL I DIE

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:29 am

What do you suggest? ;)
WWRHS?

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:38 pm

tough crowd. I like it.

I especially dig the bass in the tune. How was it recorded?

vance
audio school

Post by vance » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:31 pm

The snare sounds like "TUNK!" in the beginning of that one song...
I dunno, sample the Clearmountian cd and replace it. You can do that with ProTools. I cant do that with my 3"...

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:10 pm

I like it! Good job. I really dig the vocal harmonies when they happen.

patternagainstuser
alignin' 24-trk

Re: pure pop for now people

Post by patternagainstuser » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:11 pm

brightpavilions wrote:Hey all.

Some say we have the Teenage Fanclub, Replacements, Sloan vibe...

http://www.tinysteps.net/newgoods

Recorded at two houses on PT7. Used anything from an mBox to an 002... a Nueman to an MXL. Three songs from a forthcoming full length. Let me know what you think.

ew@tinysteps.net
http://www.tinysteps.net
your drummer jeremy has a very comfortable pillow. i took it on vacation with me to mexico. it was my constant companion for at least a a month. then dave lawson took it and gave it back to him. bastard.

i recorded jeremy's work with the drinking problem, btw. also: your tunes sound good man.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:55 am

What's that piano sound in "Willing to Bet"? I can't tell if it's an actual kinda out of tune upright (which is a sound I like - not telling you to tune it!) or a sampled piano sound.

For that kind of piano part, check out the Mellotron piano sound in M-Tron if you have it or have use of it. Experiment with the attack and release to get a good sound and it's a lot of fun and sounds great for those kind of background piano parts.