new music from The Cars???

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

KFledman
ass engineer

new music from The Cars???

Post by KFledman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:58 pm

so, I'm driving my mom's car back to LI after borrowing it for the weekend and listening to a classic rock station. Digging it cause I rarely get to drive and listen to music living in the city and having a toddler. And a song comes on that sounds an awful lot like the Cars, but the vocal isn't quite the same....And the song isn't familiar.....And there's a lyric about 'my Blackberry' and I figure can't be some Cars song I don't know because there sure weren't blackberries when they were a band...

Then a few songs later, the DJ back-announces the new song from the Cars with Todd Rundgren singing.

Did this really happen or did I fall asleep at the wheel and dream the whole thing???

timbone
audio school graduate

Post by timbone » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Yeah, it was real. Only the guitar and keyboards are played by the original cars: Elliott Easton and Greg Hawkes. I think those are the names. Anyway, I've always thought that the guitars were great on those old Cars records. The keyboards are a big part of the Cars sound. Obviously, Ben Orr is no longer with us. I know Ric Ocasek isn't interested in touring. I guess it would be great to hear those songs again live. But it's kinda weird, like Paul Rogers singing with Queen. :?
How do it know?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:38 pm

But it's kinda weird, like Paul Rogers singing with Queen.
PBS was showing old Queen footage from the 80s Sat night, then they followed it with Paul Rogers and Queen. I had to turn Paul Rogers off. I seriously wasn't digging it.

Jeff

DJEmbarrassment
pluggin' in mics

Cars/Blondie

Post by DJEmbarrassment » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:23 pm

Rundgren's Cars are touring with Blondie. I'm such a Rundgren fan, I have to see this! We'll see. Could be amazing, could be so-so. Just got my tickets today for the show in Universal City (L.A.)

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: Cars/Blondie

Post by Ivon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:12 pm

timbone wrote:Yeah, it was real. Only the guitar and keyboards are played by the original cars: Elliott Easton and Greg Hawkes. I think those are the names. Anyway, I've always thought that the guitars were great on those old Cars records. The keyboards are a big part of the Cars sound. Obviously, Ben Orr is no longer with us. I know Ric Ocasek isn't interested in touring. I guess it would be great to hear those songs again live. But it's kinda weird, like Paul Rogers singing with Queen. :?
*shudders* Jebuth. I wouldn't want to hear that. Not that Paul Rogers was a bad singer. It's just that. Well. I loved Freddie Mercury.
DJEmbarrassment wrote:Rundgren's Cars are touring with Blondie. I'm such a Rundgren fan, I have to see this! We'll see. Could be amazing, could be so-so. Just got my tickets today for the show in Universal City (L.A.)
I like Rundgren. I LOVE The Cars. Hmmm. I'd like to hear it, but I'm afraid I'd be disappointed.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Cars/Blondie

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:08 am

DJEmbarrassment wrote:Rundgren's Cars are touring with Blondie.
Actually, along those same lines, Rundgren's Cars are touring with Deborah Harry and some other dudes called themselves Blondie.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:36 am

i've totally got to check this out!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:57 am

They really should call it the Used Cars!

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:33 pm

used cars
thats great! lol they might get taken more seriously.

two of my friends went on trips one to Vegas and the other to N'ville
in vegas the one saw QUEEN (and he is hard to please but) he said it was one of the best shows hes ever seen. they did BAD CO. songs too. he said Pauls still got it

the other in nashville saw the "Longplays" and they did the first CARS album all the way through with guest singers and whatnot and again he said it was great. they had Gary Talent on bass. I guess they just do whole albums as their shows. so if the Used Cars sucks look for the Longplays and maybe theyll do that first album again