Antidote to expensive gear- Billy Bragg

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Antidote to expensive gear- Billy Bragg

Post by kayagum » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:53 am

If you need a methadone treatment for all the crack- oops, I mean gear- get the Billy Bragg box set that just came out.

I needed to hear this.

* Why there isn't more protest music today will be the mark of shame of our generation.

* I'm 99% sure his early records (pre "Talking to the Taxman") were done on the cheap. And it sounds great- no frills!

If you need a break from brick wall limiting, autotuning and ridiculously expensive signal chains, take a listen to this.

Back to Basics, indeed. I'll take a one man Clash army any day :D

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:43 am

My wife and I just saw Billy at the Birchmere in Alexandria this past Sunday. It was a sit-down, dinner theater-type show---for those familiar with the Birchmere.

Anyway, he was fantastic. Totally solo. All electric. Two tele-type guitars and two Twins and a boatload of stories, anecdotes, politics---everything with humor and earnestness. And of course, his freaking voice. That sparce setting really complements what he does. Sure, we all know sparce settings work for hushed balladry but Billy shows how effective it is when he's belting it out.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Re: Antidote to expensive gear- Billy Bragg

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:39 am

kayagum wrote:I'll take a one man Clash army any day :D
Four years ago he came around with Rod Stewart's old sidemen from the Faces (I think...right?) and blew my little mind.

Anyway, that Clash reference reminds me that in the middle of one of his rants he mumbled something about "...you know, some stupid huge British bands from the seventies ... mumble ... mumble ... it was THE CLASH ..." (and then there were big boos from the front row) - obviously he was having a blast being a smartass.

So he does prove that all you need is a strat and a four-track, although it's pretty cool when you throw in some of the original Faces players for emphasis.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Re: Antidote to expensive gear- Billy Bragg

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:00 am

kayagum wrote: * Why there isn't more protest music today will be the mark of shame of our generation.
I almost started a thread about this the other day. Ironically, the genisis was the new Donald Fagan record (haven't heard it, but read about some of the tunes). While I think writing good, protest/socially aware songs is hard as hell (I can't do it), it's disappointing to not see/hear more musicians doing it. Obviously there are some usual suspects, and there's surely a pile of stuff so underground I'll never encounter it, but come on, no guts. "Indie Rock" is particularly guilty in my book, so myopic no matter the topic.

I missed the Birchmere show already referenced, but I've seen him a couple of times. He's 'effin' great.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:12 pm

On the other hand, bad protest music is a painful listening experience. And it's so easy- just strum some chords and start ranting/preaching. If you can't be subtle, don't do it. Please.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:41 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:On the other hand, bad protest music is a painful listening experience. And it's so easy- just strum some chords and start ranting/preaching. If you can't be subtle, don't do it. Please.
Nobody's saying it's easy--nor is writing a song about ________, but we seem to give a pass to all that shite--I'm just saying there's a pathetic dearth of it from the "indie"/"alternative" community.

It seems to be the case that few care when lyrics are meaningless and clearly about nothing; afterthoughts guised as deep impressions, or worse about the music business! It's less risk than trying to actually write about something big and important (e.g., poverty, greed, crime, eroding civil liberties, etc., etc., etc.).

Anyways, artists can and should do whatever they want, but others can and should be disappointed when they avoid the difficult. Bragg is a righteous mofo and puts shame to the Malkmus's of the world (at least lyrically).

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:12 am

just a few, right off the top of my head. Bands thats cover political/social issues

U2
Coldplay
System of a Down
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:00 am

For what it's worth, I think there probably is a lot of what could be considered indie rock protest music being made, but since the indie rock pantheon is loaded with oblique or impressionistic lyrics and unintelligible or low-in-the-mix vocals, most people never know when they are or aren't listening to a protest song anymore....

That's not a knock on music or lyrics, just an observation/opinion.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:16 am

the new Flaming Lips record, At War With The Mystics, will have a few songs dealing with power and corruption, obviously one of the most important political topics of our time.

the record comes out next week.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:44 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:the record comes out next week.
The record came out yesterday in my neck o'the woods (4th... DC...)

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:55 pm

Everyone's (but me) favorite band to rip on - Pearl Jam - has a few recent songs I'd definitely consider "protest" songs.