4 Piece Rock Mix... delay, AC30s, and Rickenbacker basses...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

4 Piece Rock Mix... delay, AC30s, and Rickenbacker basses...

Post by weatherbox » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Second revision... bumped up the bass volume a little, added some brightness to the snare, and dropped a little volume from the vox per the bands request (though a couple parts I think it'll need to come back up a tad...)

suggestions be welcomed. Also happy to provide the rundown on how any parts were done...

http://homepage.mac.com/weatherbox/.Pub ... evised.mp3

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:29 am

anyone? please? no suggestions for how I can improve this?

nutate
ass engineer

Post by nutate » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:57 pm

I would do some sort of backwards stuff or something effecty into the bridge, the better day part. Somehow chunk up the guitar there. Also I kind of like the pressing the hamster switch sound on his voice. Does he just sing it that way? Cause if he does, that's pretty awesome.

Also it sounds like there is some strange effect on the guitar at the end (outro) that weakens it a bit, which may be what you want. I take it you are going for a cure meets interpol type of sound. Which, well it's not my thing, but I think that you've pretty much got it there.
http://www.myspace.com/clarkeight "Digital fuzz and a fifth of gin..."

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:39 pm

I think they'd be pretty happy with that comparison. I know they really like both bands.

I'm not sure what pressing the hamster switch means, but that's pretty similar to his voice - my favorite vocal mic was broken so they brought over a Blueberry which has a pretty distinctive character.

at the end, the guitarist is playing through a Memory Man with a decent amount of modulation, but the main thing is he's going nutty on the vibrato bar. They were pretty adamant about what sounds they'd use, which has made mixing a little hard, but that's my problem to deal with.

thanks for listening.

nutate
ass engineer

Post by nutate » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Clearly you haven't sold your guitars and bought turntables (and then sold your turntables and bought guitars)... just kidding... uh, a hamster switch is a button on some mixers (Vestax, probably most others) that switches the crossfader direction, so it can break up a track if you hit it while there is nothing playing on the other table. There is a beastie boys track that start with a zshweee -eee ee eee ee eee ee ee ee where the breaks are silence, and in one thing the vocalist does that. Sort of max headroomy.
http://www.myspace.com/clarkeight "Digital fuzz and a fifth of gin..."

Get Thee To A Nunnery
audio school graduate

Post by Get Thee To A Nunnery » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:44 pm

This is really excellent.

My only slight criticism would be that for me the vocal could have a little more depth in places.

The ?You make me feel? line doesn?t quite go to the place it wants to. Sounds a little one dimensional, like it is asking for a really subtle harmony underneath to break it up and give it depth.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:40 am

thanks! I agree with the vocal - I dunno how much of it is the singer, how much was the mic, how much is me... the Blueberry they brought over had a pretty unusual sound - very smooth, very silky, but a little densely 2D - like I felt I couldn't get air in there. Felt like I was tracking sexy female R&B vocals, except it was a dude singing rock. I'm going to experiment with reverbs and space a little to see if I can open the track up a little without dousing it in digital 'verb.