14 Inches of Snow

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cwileyriser
pushin' record

14 Inches of Snow

Post by cwileyriser » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:45 am

A quick rough mix I did for our reference before sending the tracks to the mix engineer. From our next full-length that should be released in the fall. Recorded here at Illuminati Audio.

You can download it at http://mp3download.myspace.com/index.cf ... d=53427032

or you can listen on the mediocre MySpace player at http://www.myspace.com/summerhymns (though the MySpace player sounds marginally OK through my studio monitors).

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:47 pm

Awesome, I love it. Great song!

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:24 pm

Here's my two cents (from a total amateur, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong :))

I really enjoyed listening to this song. I think the bass sound is especially cool. I do feel like the harmonica solo in the middle is drowned out a little by the rhythm guitar and bass. Personally, I would move the harmonica forward in the mix (and maybe the lead guitar too) and the rhythm guitar back, but it could just be a matter of taste. Also, I noticed a "pop" or some other noise around 2:56 (possibly somebody knocked a mic by accident?) and some kind of "crackle" at 3:07 in the mp3 i downloaded. Not sure what's causing that.

Overall though, I really liked it!

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the bass sound. We agonized over just what to do for a bass part and a bass sound for a long time. It's a relatively simple G-C-D song, so we didn't want a "bar band" sounding bass on it, and I think what ended up on it is cool too.

I agree about the harmonica. That's something we'll work on during mixing.

Thanks for pointing out that nosie at 2:56 - I just heard it! I think it probably was a mic stand noise on a vocal track - at least I hope so, so that I can cut it out!

I think I hear the noise at 3:07 you're talking about - sounds like a bad edit point. I'll work on that too.

Thanks again for the feedback. If you email me your address, I'll send you a CD when it comes out. I'll do my best to put it on a calendar or remember it, but remind me in a few months if you can!