ZZ Top remasters

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

ZZ Top remasters

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:17 pm

I was just at Bust Bye and saw that they have 2006 remasters of Fandango and Tres Hombres, I think on Warners.

Both have 3 or 4 live versions added.

In light of the dismal re-mixes (Six-Pack) and re-masters (the various box sets), has anyone heard these, and are they at least acceptable?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:50 pm

good question. i'm curious myself. hopefully they aren't brickwalled remasters, especially of the re-mixed versions with the drum triggers with 1980s drum sample styles. perhaps do some research on zz top fan sites where the hardcore fans give more than detailed thoughts and reviews of these re-releases. also, oddly enough, amazon.com offers a forum of reviews from buyers. sometimes after a while the editorial dept. will take such buyer reviews off the site at the request of the record companies for the fear of people getting turned off from buying whatever product when the 'truth' is revealed...
Roman Sokal

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:20 am

They are the original mixes, no six-pack stuff. BUT they sound ok at best, BETTER than the terrible box set. That was a joke.

They are a bit too brickwalled (surprise) and EQ is ok.

GET the old Greatest Hits CD that has cowboys smoking on the cover. THAT sounds great - original tapes, older mastering. It could be better, but it's ALL we have.

BTW - the added live tracks seem to be quite recent, or the mixes are.
Relax and float downstream...

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:12 pm

oh, I do hope they added LOTS of reverb again... :roll:

timbertrout
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by timbertrout » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:07 pm

Reminds me of the terrible reverbed-out reissue of "Carry On My Wayward Son." from 10+ years ago.

Total Sacrilege. It's like they ran the entire mix through an SPX-90 Hall Reverb setting.

And now it seems to be the only version that ever gets played on the radio. Sad.