robin trower

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

these_go211
pushin' record

robin trower

Post by these_go211 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:13 am

anyone else here into this guy? i remembered hearing some of his stuff a long time ago. but recently took a listen to 'bridge of sighs' at borders. wow wow wow! i had to buy it. heavy, trippy, but not over the top weird. heavy blues rock with a stoney vibe. great songs, riffy. good drumming. i have the remastered cd but i'd imagine the vinyl must have sounded amazing! cool stuff.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:10 am

Yeah, he was an early member of the 'mellowed out Hendrix vibe" club. Along with Mahogany Rush, and (much later) Stevie Ray Vaughn.
________
S65
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:14 am

They used to call him "the white Jimi Hendrix"....he can definately create a dreamy mood...I got to see him a few years ago at a local venue that seated around 300 or so. He was playing a strat through a pair of white Marshall stacks & was the only member of the band who was NOT mic-ed, just playing to the room.....his tone & performance were perfect...staggering to say the least. A phenominal show....what a great player. He created those spacey, psychadelic, moody solos that were, at the same time dark and exciting, dripping with authority! Not a Jimi ripoff at all, but I can see where the comparisons come from, they are both powerful, blues inspired players of the highest rank!
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:17 am

he's phenomenal live- even at 62! i caught him on his last tour in north america in 2001. he'll be around again this summer!
also, check out the new live dvd that just came out- available through his site i presume http://www.trowerpower.com

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:21 am

yes see him live.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:24 am

Robin Trower is amazing, and Bridge of Sigh's is some really emotional work. Jack Bruce was incredible on that album too.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

brain wreck
studio intern

Post by brain wreck » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 am

I remember when I was 16 (i'm 28 now), an older guy I worked with gave me a robin trower cd to check out. I thought it was ok but not my thing back then. I'll have to give it another listen and see if the added years changes anything for me. Btw, the first time I heard hendrix I thought he was awful! What a stupid kid I was.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:39 am

wait a minute. kennylusk, you said:
"Jack Bruce was incredible on that album too."

???? the credits don't say anything about jack bruce on that record. the singer/bassist is james dewar.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:44 am

There's a duet album with him and Gary Peacock called Oracle. Good.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:57 am

BLT (Jack Bruce, Bill Lordan, & Robin Trower) This is probably what got you to thinking about Jack Bruce & Robin Trower.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh