To Download early or not?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

To Download early or not?

Post by SaneMan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:37 pm

So, over the course of the past few hours, the new TOOL album has been spreading across the internet like wildifire. I do NOT have it, so don't bother asking me(though I did check out their single, because I don't have <i>that much</i> willpower). My dilema is thus: I'm going to see them at Coachella in a couple weeks and can't decide if it would be a better show being familiar with the material, or experiencing it for the first time live at a festival. Just thought I'd see you guys's opinions.

By the way, download it or not, I'll be buying it the day it comes out.

Shit now that I wrote this, seems like it could be more appropriate in People Skills. Oh well
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:24 pm

What a dilemma you've got yourself there.
beware bee wear

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:06 pm

i downloaded it, well actually my bassist did, then sent me the files. i will of course be buying the very same day it is released, but i couldn't resist hearing it a bit early, and i'm exstatic about it. i've listened to it like 4 times today.

i think you should wait til the show honestly. if i could've heard any one of these tunes in a live setting for the first time, i probably would've lost bowel control.

:lol:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:48 pm

its a fantastic record...obviously a great recording as well, given that they like good clean dynamic recordings/sounds.
i found a link to download it from the their official fan site toolarmy. i'm surprised the album gout out on the internet, considering how tight they were for the previous record. i did a story on them for that album and there were no promo copies- i had to go to the office of their label and they played me a few tracks in the boardroom. us journalists eventually got a copy of the album, only after it officially came out. anyway, i wrote a few friends about where they could download the new album and given my connections etc, the word got to my "friend" who recorded this new disc. he wrote me a very nasty email complaining that he'd be losing money due to downloading and was accusing me of theft and that he'd call authorities on me etc.
i was shocked of course, and thought that the overall 'issue' of downloading is over with per se. i guess not! man was it ever a nasty email. i thought he had to be joking at first! i replied saying that a few of my close friends who heard it are obviously going to buy the disc, if not multiple copies like we usually do, over time. (their disc/album artwork is usually a big feat and worth buying). anyway, in the end, its a great album.

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Sun May 07, 2006 7:55 am

I try to avoid downloading advance copies of albums, because most of the time, they aren't the finished product. I remember I downloaded a Foo Fighters album in advance. I was listening to it and everything sounded good until midway through a song, the panning on the cymbals changed from slightly off center to the left to the far right. It might sound silly, but it kind of ruined the song for me. I had a similar experience with one of the Dave Mathews Band albums.

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Sun May 07, 2006 8:19 am

I actually enjoy hearing songs before they are finished... sort of an insiders look as to how songs were put together/changed/revamped.. you could imagine that panning in the foo fighters song being diliberated during mixing (let's cut that.. no let's keep it).. or maybe it was just a lazy mistake.

downloading = awesome, especially if you play music.
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Wed May 10, 2006 1:38 am

Well, I guess it hardly mattered, since they barely touched 10,000 Days at Coachella, which really dissapointed me. Anyway, I did go ahead and download it, and it didn't sound nearly as good as the real CD and kind of gave me a bad impression of it, so I guess I should've just waited.
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed May 10, 2006 7:36 am

tonic889 wrote:I try to avoid downloading advance copies of albums, because most of the time, they aren't the finished product. I remember I downloaded a Foo Fighters album in advance. I was listening to it and everything sounded good until midway through a song, the panning on the cymbals changed from slightly off center to the left to the far right. It might sound silly, but it kind of ruined the song for me. I had a similar experience with one of the Dave Mathews Band albums.
I'll bet you that the panning mischief is a crude form of copyprotect/early version sabotage