Tool

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Tool

Post by FlowersForHuman » Tue May 02, 2006 3:13 pm

So did the guys from Tool give up outdoing themselves to become Wizards? Still a good record I guess.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Tue May 02, 2006 4:21 pm

they gave up trying anything new about 10 years ago.......

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue May 02, 2006 4:28 pm

Yeah I totally agree...Same band, same sound, same album....Again...Yawn....
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Tue May 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention...They're EVIL!!! Yeah, tough and EVIL! JOCK ROCK RULES!!!!
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Tue May 02, 2006 9:24 pm

Seriously, every goddamned song is based on the same f*cking chord, D or C or whatever it is they're tuned down to. EVERY SONG. I can't imagine the boredom of playing that shit. How do they remember which riff is which?

To say that I prefer "a perfect circle" is the understatement of the year. Now that's a great hard rock band.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:47 am

well, i completely disagree with all of you. :twisted: i think this rocks hard and has all the right elements for me to dig it: moody, weird, heavy, and it flows well. maybe cuz i'm so pumped up about it but it's my favorite release from them. the songs are great and it sounds fantastic.

to each his own. flame on.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Wed May 03, 2006 7:53 am

these_go211 wrote:well, i completely disagree with all of you. :twisted: i think this rocks hard and has all the right elements for me to dig it: moody, weird, heavy, and it flows well. maybe cuz i'm so pumped up about it but it's my favorite release from them. the songs are great and it sounds fantastic.

to each his own. flame on.
I like it too.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:58 am

how about the artwork too. whoa! mindblowing. i bought the cd yesterday afternoon and have already listened to it twice, once on the home stereo and once with headphones. very cool stuff. love the talkbox solo.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed May 03, 2006 3:30 pm

name me any band that is more original than Tool, They have a sound and are cultivating it with age, I can't belive any of you said they were not original, tell me what is original to you!!! The strokes, Tom Waits, Neil young. Fucking geeks! calling it jock rock.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed May 03, 2006 3:35 pm

I was surprised to see all the flames. Glad some fans chimed in. I like it a lot. I agree that, stylistically, they haven't changed much in the past ten years, but so what? It still sounds good, and there's still ground to explore in their style.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Wed May 03, 2006 5:09 pm

JOCK ROCK....PERIOD.... End of story...
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Wed May 03, 2006 5:16 pm

Tool is to me, what Steely Dan is to Larry Crane...If you like them be fucking proud of them but dont throw a fit if others despise the fact that the same chords, lyrics, guitar sounds, etc. etc. etc. gets quite tired and old...Hey I thought undertow was really good back in the days but Jesus change up your sound....Please...Even just a little...
www.rhymeandmelody.com

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed May 03, 2006 5:32 pm

Sound Campaign wrote:Tool is to me, what Steely Dan is to Larry Crane...If you like them be fucking proud of them but dont throw a fit if others despise the fact that the same chords, lyrics, guitar sounds, etc. etc. etc. gets quite tired and old...Hey I thought undertow was really good back in the days but Jesus change up your sound....Please...Even just a little...
How is what you're doing (throwing a fit about how you *don't* like them) any better?

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Wed May 03, 2006 5:43 pm

fucking JOCK ROCK?

you are delusional
Dave Johnson
allcapsproductions.com

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Wed May 03, 2006 6:54 pm

yeah I guess I was harsh but you stick up for what you believe in, sometimes I get out of hand.

:twisted: