The State Of Music

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed May 24, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks everyone for posting and please keep it coming! Don't forget to include bands and their links...it's a great way for them to get some exposure.

Does anyone here feel that albums today by more well known artisits are not as cohesive? I'm 28 and I can be completely off on this but albums like Ten from Pearl Jam and name any other "big" album (i.e. Dark Side of the Moon) seems to be one of those albums you can listen to all the way through. I don't know, maybe I drank too much beer the other night while thinking of this.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed May 24, 2006 12:16 pm

TV Lenny wrote:
Does anyone here feel that albums today by more well known artisits are not as cohesive? I'm 28 and I can be completely off on this but albums like Ten from Pearl Jam and name any other "big" album (i.e. Dark Side of the Moon) seems to be one of those albums you can listen to all the way through.
for example? i can't say either way, as i have not bought many new albums (or many albums period, for the matter) recently.

StygianSguitars
ass engineer

Post by StygianSguitars » Wed May 24, 2006 12:23 pm

TV Lenny wrote:Does anyone here feel that albums today by more well known artisits are not as cohesive?
I don't know cause I don't really buy any albums by really well known artists, but pretty much every CD I have has no filler. They're just really good and I listen to them over and over and don't get bored with them.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Wed May 24, 2006 1:33 pm

cgarges wrote:It's a drag that wouldn't fit in tha mag. Thanks for giving it to us here, Roman.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

no problem! happy to share! well obviously that section didn't end up in print in its entirety because its a recording magazine and not a music biz philosophy mag! imagine if there was one out there...aieeee!!!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 24, 2006 2:33 pm

TV Lenny wrote:Does anyone here feel that albums today by more well known artisits are not as cohesive?
Well, I think part of that might be that they're longer...a CD can hold almost twice as much audio as an LP, and many bands fall into the trap of thinking they have to fill it all up...so they end up with what would have been a double album in 1980, when maybe they should have stopped at a solid, tight 40 minutes.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

globalsize
pluggin' in mics

Post by globalsize » Wed May 24, 2006 2:41 pm

I have to agree with dwlb. I would happily fork over the same (if not more) money for a tight 9 song album than a long, overstretched 15 song 70 minute album

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Wed May 24, 2006 4:03 pm

...We have to develop a new crop of support people in the music industry- people who are the new impresarios, new record company- well, I hate to use the word ?executives?, new talent developers.
abso-freakin-lutely. I hope I don't rattle any cages here, but...I think maybe the people who are in charge now have been in the game for many many long years and the emphasis has switched from art to money (thank you 311 for that quote). Granted, it's a fun business, I sure hope I'm doin somethin with music till the day I die. But, Bob is right...we need new people to make decisions and decide what to put out there, people with an artistic and passionate vision. That's my too sense.

Bob is a smart guy I can tell, I had the pleasure of hearing him speak once. I respect that dude.

Thanks for posting this, it was an awesome read!
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 24, 2006 4:04 pm

dwlb wrote:Well, I think part of that might be that they're longer...a CD can hold almost twice as much audio as an LP, and many bands fall into the trap of thinking they have to fill it all up...
That's part of the reason why I love Mitchell Froom's records so much.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Wed May 24, 2006 7:42 pm

joeysimms wrote:hey mikehattern: os mutantes is a 60's band, the records came out right alongside sgt. pooper and all that..
I know when their records came out... I wasn't listing them chronologically... The band formed in 1965 but their first record (and best IMO) came out in 1968 so technically it did not come out "alongside" Sgt. Pepper... it came out more alongside The White Album... Also, they really didn't come out "alongside' any american/british bands becasue the records were almost impossible to find here in the states when they were released... thats why they re-recorded a bunch of songs from the first 2 records in English to release them in America for 1970 or so but the album was never released until just a couple of years ago... I know when OM's records came out man... Out of my big long post that was all you could comment on??

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Wed May 24, 2006 7:49 pm

Concerning Bob Ezrin's quotes:

I believe he is talking mostly about the mainstream or major label acts...Somebody else said the talent pool nowadays in small or whatever... that's just ridiculous... there's more talent out there now than there was in the 60s (I am a 60s fanatic so don't get all excited) MOSTLY for the fact that so many more people play nowadays and there are an exponential amount of more bands now than back then... So you get bombarded with a lot of garbage but that doesn't mean its representative of what's going on TODAY... Nowadays to find a great band you have to sift through 50 or 100 shitty ones... in the 60s you just had to turn on the radio to hear the Stones or The Beatles... big difference... if you're expecting the major labels to hand you some great music DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH!! We (musicians, engineers, music fanatics) are NOT THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE. they don't care about us... they focus on signing and promoting music that appeals to young teenage girls because that's who spends ridiculous amounts of money...

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri May 26, 2006 3:45 pm

mikehattem wrote:..Out of my big long post that was all you could comment on??
I thought your post was listing great CURRENT music is all and I corrected you on Os mutantes.. Great, you already knew. What do you want me to say about the rest of your list?? Calm down man!
beware bee wear