Guitar World Top 100 guitar solos

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

slimjw
pluggin' in mics

Post by slimjw » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:43 pm

orbb wrote:Also, they left off the solo from Steely Dan's "Rikki don't lose that number" by Jeff "Skunk" Baxter? I read somewhere that Jimmy Page thought that was the best solo of all time.
Elliott Randall played the Rikki solo. He also played the one on "Kings" from the same album. Skunk and Denny Dias played the others.

There was a time not long ago when I would've been embarassed to know this, but something happened two years ago and I suddenly "got" Steely Dan. Still don't like Aja though. And of course that is everyone's favorite SD record...

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:36 pm

dwlb wrote:
lyman wrote:
johnny7 wrote: Or the end of Abbey Road with John, Paul, and George taking turns?
while we're talking about George and lead playing, I was hanging out the other night with some people and the topic of the beatles and their place in rock greatness came up. this one guy was saying that they are overrated as a band, for example (and I quote) "george harrison couldn't even improvise over a blues progression."

:shock:

i'm not saying he's god's gift to guitar or anything, but that was the stupidest thing i've heard anybody say in a while. like it's so freakin hard to jam on top of a I-IV-V progression, even I can do it. harrison probably learned to play by jamming along with blues based early rock n' roll (chuck berry et. al.) records.

anyway, this guy used to play jazz sax and obviously has some strange ideas about improvisation. he went on to say that most rock bands/musicians can't improvise and "write out" their solos in advance.

Many rock musicians do compose their solos. What's the big deal? Not every solo has to be a top-of-head flash of in-the-moment invention. Some of them can merely be fantastic melodies that are written, rehearsed and then performed...like, um, any other part of a piece of music.

yup. if it sounds good, it sounds good. and besides, just because somebody chooses to work that way doesn't mean that they are incapable of improvising.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:44 pm

Wonder what that guy thinks of Neil Young then?

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:16 pm

that list doesn't seem biased, not at all =)

(what I mean is that most of all that is either really old or really metal)

I personally would love to see 311 - use of time (Tim Mahoney) in there for the way the solo acts with the song...quite possibly the most perfectly matched solo (for feel) in any song i've ever heard (of course, my opinion could be a little biased as well!)

at least they creditted dickey betts!
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:44 am

One of my favorites ever is Elliot Easton's solo in the Cars' "Shake It Up".
Damn, that solo smokes! Kills me every time I hear it.

myphx
audio school graduate

Post by myphx » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:09 am

dwlb wrote:You'd think a jazz guy would have the open mind to think beyond "head/solo/solo/head" structure, but maybe not.

Actually it's head/solo/solo - then before they do the head again at the end, the bass player takes a solo in which he ends it by twiddling around and the audience chuckles like they "get it".
Last edited by myphx on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:11 pm

I gotta admit, I always liked the solo in tears for fears' "Shout".

darkhorseporter
ass engineer

Post by darkhorseporter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:37 pm

myphx wrote:You'd think a jazz guy would have the open mind to think beyond "head/solo/solo/head" structure, but maybe not.

Actually it's head/solo/solo - then before they do the head again at the end, the bass player takes a solo in which he ends it by twiddling around and the audience chuckles like they "get it".[/quote]

as a jazz player myself, I agree that most jazz musicians NEED to try to think of some other ways to present melodies and improvisation.

Also, the sax player that said rock guys all write out their solos is not far off, but there is nothing at all wrong with that. What he omitted is that every jazz player has a repetior of licks, ii-V patterns, turnarounds, quotes, etc... that they practice and use in thier improv. VERY RARELY does a 100% improvised solo of new metial and ideas come out. Scratch that. NEVER is a solo 100% improvised.

That said, the solo missing from the list is Wes Montgomery's solo on "west coast blues". if we're only talking rock, then page hamiton's solo at the end of "Unsung" on Meantime should be on there. or billy corgans solo on Soma, but he got on there a couple times already from solos on siamese dream.

supertzar
ass engineer

Post by supertzar » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:47 am

I would put some Tony Iommi in there. War Pigs/Luke's Wall would be a good one.

Ah! It's #56. My bad, homie.

myphx
audio school graduate

Post by myphx » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:57 am

darkhorsereporter wrote:as a jazz player myself, I agree that most jazz musicians NEED to try to think of some other ways to present melodies and improvisation.

Also, the sax player that said rock guys all write out their solos is not far off, but there is nothing at all wrong with that. What he omitted is that every jazz player has a repetoire of licks, ii-V patterns, turnarounds, quotes, etc... that they practice and use in their improv. VERY RARELY does a 100% improvised solo of new material and ideas come out. Scratch that. NEVER is a solo 100% improvised.
What was that story about Miles Davis catching one of his sax players practicing in his hotel room and yelling at him to knock it off: "I don't pay you to practice!"

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:08 am

Do my eyes deceive me or did they totally diss Mick Taylor in there? No "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," no "Love In Vain," no "Sway?" I dunno. I guess I am a weirdo or something. Seems like he should have made the cut.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:24 am

coniferouspine wrote:Do my eyes deceive me or did they totally diss Mick Taylor in there? No "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," no "Love In Vain," no "Sway?" I dunno. I guess I am a weirdo or something. Seems like he should have made the cut.
reminds me of a DJ I heard on the radio once after "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" was over, he said: 'and there's Mick Taylor, demonstrating the guitar chops that got him...fired from the Rolling Stones.' :twisted:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/