First time I've shown stuff on here.. Honest input?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

First time I've shown stuff on here.. Honest input?

Post by theBaldfather » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:55 pm

Hey, I have a few things on www.myspace.com/electricangelstudios(and I know it's the devil, but I'm dealing with the devil I guess) so if you could give me any suggestions, that would be sweet.

Marcupial is a song I did for a band called Gone to Graceland from Columbus, OH. It was pretty straightfoward. Used a 5150 for guitars, with a max of 3 layers. Layered the vox on some of it.

Horizons is a project I did for a solo artist. I played drums and he did everything else. It's just instrumental, but we had fun with an acoustic and a slide about halfway through.

I did it all through a firepod, using nuendo. I have one of those eh 12ay7 pre's that got a lot of use on the second song. I mixed and mastered both tracks. Let me know if you have any suggestions that I could use to make my work better in the future!
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

dougo
pushin' record

your music

Post by dougo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:49 pm

Well I listened to both songs and enjoyed the recordings. I think the second song sounds much fuller. Definitely do to the arrangement no doubt but it sure sounds like the 12ay7's gave a nice clarity to the song. What parts was it used on? Regarding the first song, was it all recorded with the firepod pres?

Anyhow keep up the fine work,
DougO
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

dougo
pushin' record

your music

Post by dougo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:02 pm

Well I listened to both songs and enjoyed the recordings. I think the second song sounds much fuller. Definitely do to the arrangement no doubt but it sure sounds like the 12ay7's gave a nice clarity to the song. What parts was it used on? Regarding the first song, was it all recorded with the firepod pres?

Anyhow keep up the fine work,
DougO
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words. :-) On the first song I used a presonus eureka on the snare and probably the guitars.. the rest was through the firepod pres I think.

on the second song, I used the 12ay7 on the snare, bass, acoustic guitar and sitar. The eureka got used on all the guitars and the electric mandolin. I also had a AT 3035 for all the acoustic instruments, which was a nice step over the mxl 2001's I usually use.

*edit.. Anyone else?
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"