Just saw Wilco on the weekend and it was bloody Awesome!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:04 pm

Soapbox Johnnie! Nice one!

I don't really hate any bands, I just find alot of them boring and don't bother paying attention to them. Perhaps it was wasted posting to thus give them negative attention. Oh well..
beware bee wear

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:04 pm

no, yours was fine. you said you think they're boring, which I could understand if you're into more complex or immediately stimulating stuff... i wasn't really into them until 'aghost is born' cuz I love the sounds...

anyway, you aren't just out to start shit.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:04 pm

I'm a big fan of Yankee Foxtrot and a ghost is born, the older stuff just is not for me. I save them live around 3 or 4 years ago and I was not terribly impressed, but I've got to say the new live cd is great and if I've got the dough, I'll try to see them again.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:24 pm

I'm also digging Loose Fur...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Veej007
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Veej007 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:02 pm

saw them a couple months back. i had issues with certain aspects of the performance, but i'll remember this bit until my last breath:

they started with "via chicago." halfway through, the drummer started frantically bashing the hell out of everything within reach; big chaotic thunderstorm sort of thing. the rest of the band just kept going as though they didn't even notice, and after the chorus the drummer started playing sensibly again. it was superb.

willjohnston
audio school graduate

Post by willjohnston » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm

hammertime wrote:Yeah, Cinammon Girl is a pretty rocking song. Too bad he had to do all that loudmouth political shit like Southern Man. At least that dude is kind of a character in a megalomaniacal humorous kind of way. Wilco just seemed kind of foo foo to me though. That band needed a Halford, or a Bon Scott, or someone who has a bit more balls to scare your parents. But I guess if you like that kind of sensitive songwriter shit, those guys aren't too bad.
What are you, like 13?

AudioHog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AudioHog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:15 am

I've followed Tweed's career for some time now. I find him to be an excellent songwriter and a trully pained vocalist. Hammertime, I would use "foo foo" to describe 99% of what you hear on most alt-rock stations. Mostly flash in the pan junk which we'll all forget sooner than later. Uncle Tupelo, Golden Smog, and the different incarnations of Wilco have been on my playlist for years and will continue to be. Great fucking bands and really talented people.

BTW, there's a pretty cool vid doc out on Wilco.

spatrick78
audio school graduate

Bumbershoot

Post by spatrick78 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:07 am

Saw Wilco a few years ago at Bumbershoot and it felt like time stood still...
One of the best moments in my life... He didn't punch anybody out tho...

www.purevolume.com/thehandmedowns

myleftfoot
ass engineer

Post by myleftfoot » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:40 pm

great songs, really good musicians, interesting arrangements.
i didn't pay much attention to wilco for a long time, i guess i just didn't think they were that interesting.
now they're one of my favorite bands, and it was probably seeing them play a show that made me start liking them so much. if tweedy does a solo tour again taht's totally worth seeing too, i saw him play solo last year and it was great.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:59 pm

I don't know. I don't like much rock music. But the little bit I do like has to do with the maniac fuck-it attitude that this band just doesn't have in any way like, say, an Alice Cooper, a Pantera, or even a Gene Vincent or Jerry Lee Lewis. These foo foo little clowns don't belong in the same bar with any of those dudes.
myleftfoot wrote:great songs, really good musicians, interesting arrangements.
i didn't pay much attention to wilco for a long time, i guess i just didn't think they were that interesting.
now they're one of my favorite bands, and it was probably seeing them play a show that made me start liking them so much. if tweedy does a solo tour again taht's totally worth seeing too, i saw him play solo last year and it was great.