a couple songs for those inclined to listen

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

lyman
re-cappin' neve

a couple songs for those inclined to listen

Post by lyman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:19 pm

I just finished a new EP, self-recorded on digital 8 track. Mastered by Roger Lavallee ("rodgre" on the board). Click on the "JH" link in my signature for my Myspace page.

When The Night Turns Black
Lay Down

any feedback is welcome. have a good day.
Last edited by lyman on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:01 am

When the Night Turns Black: Like the synthy touch mixed with clean guitar riff; good intro. Nice mix, the vocals are intelligible. Good acoustic guitar sound. Basically, I like all the pieces of the puzzle. Nice job.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:17 pm

zoetrope wrote:When the Night Turns Black: Like the synthy touch mixed with clean guitar riff; good intro. Nice mix, the vocals are intelligible. Good acoustic guitar sound. Basically, I like all the pieces of the puzzle. Nice job.
thanks for taking the time to listen.

oh, i should probably mention that we did 2 versions of the master: one with not much limiting and one with more of a "modern" approach (1996 vs. 2006, if you will). these mp3's are the more limited versions but I went with the better sounding and less squashed master for the actual CD. i ought to swap the mp3s when i have the chance....

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 pm

I agree, when the night turns black is nicely balanced, the guitars sound good. The drums and bass seem to be sitting pretty far back in the mix though... :wink:

But, I heard one pet peeve... and since you asked for feedback... :twisted:

I can hear the obvious vocal edits, where you sing one line in one take and the next line in another take... either it was a poorly-edited comp, or if they are meant to be a call/response type thing, I'd have made one of the voices sound radically different from the other one. As it is, it just sounds like bad editing to me, especially since both parts are sitting in about the same spot in the mix.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:51 pm

jwl wrote:I agree, when the night turns black is nicely balanced, the guitars sound good. The drums and bass seem to be sitting pretty far back in the mix though... :wink:

But, I heard one pet peeve... and since you asked for feedback... :twisted:

I can hear the obvious vocal edits, where you sing one line in one take and the next line in another take... either it was a poorly-edited comp, or if they are meant to be a call/response type thing, I'd have made one of the voices sound radically different from the other one. As it is, it just sounds like bad editing to me, especially since both parts are sitting in about the same spot in the mix.
i understand what you're saying. i did it like that to get around the breathing-between-lines issue. so it's not an editing issue, maybe more of a performance issue. i did consider re-tracking the 2 vocal tracks to get things a little tighter i already spent a while on the vocals on some of these songs......
panning a bit more could have helped too.

i record on a tascam digital 8 track. it has a toy-like plastic-y vibe, but i like it.