Weezer

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Weezer

Post by Fieryjack » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:50 pm

jmblack
pluggin' in mics

Post by jmblack » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:09 pm

They should have stayed done after Pinkerton. I want my money back for that fuckin' green album.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:59 pm

jmblack wrote:They should have stayed done after Pinkerton. I want my money back for that fuckin' green album.
I thought the latest one was way worse than the Green album. At least there were some bearable songs one the green album.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:07 am

Thank god.

As much as I love the blue album and especially pinkerton, thats certainly where it shoud've ended.. oh well. I'm sure they're all much better-off, financially, now.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Harmony Head
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Harmony Head » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:57 am

I really liked the Green album....

Weezer records were always good sounding at the very least.... There's a lot to be said for that alone..

HH
If you don't do anything wrong, you never have to worry about anything coming back to bite you on the ass...

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:28 am

Harmony Head wrote:I really liked the Green album....

Weezer records were always good sounding at the very least.... There's a lot to be said for that alone..

HH
I thought I was the only one. I liked the green album better than pinkerton. . .call me crazy. . .
HWJLHC?

darkhorseporter
ass engineer

Post by darkhorseporter » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:10 am

mingus2112 wrote:
I thought I was the only one. I liked the green album better than pinkerton. . .call me crazy. . .
You're crazy. Seriously. :D

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:32 am

darkhorseporter wrote:
mingus2112 wrote:
You're crazy. Seriously. :D
Yep. Crazy. Pinkerton is awesome.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:15 am

here's my thoughts on those two post-Pinkerton albums:

Green... I admit that this is a really, really good album. There are songs on that album that are incredible. Island In The Sun is actually part of the soundtrack to our wedding video.
But, the guitar solos on that album suck dick. EVERY ONE of them is an ape of the vocal melody. You can get away with that for a song or two. Hell, if you're just an average guitar player, you could probably get away with it more often (Nirvana).. But, after the solos on Blue and Pinkerton, the Green album was a HHHHUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE disappointment in the guitar department. The songs are there, but the guitar blows.

Maladroit doesn't have many redeeming qualities in my opinion. Maladroit feels like a response to the criticism he received about the weak solos on Green. The solos on Maladroit are gratuitous wank fests. They all feel so disconnected from the songs. And, the songwriting on Maladroit is waaay below that of any of their previously released material (all B-sides included). I just couldn't find anything at all to love.

The further and further they got from Pinkerton, the more and more impersonal and calculated their music became.

After the Blue album, they came out with an album that sounded like they felt like they could do anything that they wanted. After Pinkerton's commercial failure, and the long hiatus, they seemed to make albums that sounded like they were trying to figure out what someone else wanted. Now, whether it was some record exec, or a fickle public, the point is, they were thinking too hard about it.

This could just all be bullshit. Maybe Rivers only had one PERFECT album in him. Maybe that had something to do with the hiatus. Maybe he ran out of good ideas.

I've read articles before that said that Rivers had notebooks where he "charted" all of Nirvana's songs, and other great pop songs, looking for patterns that would help him figure out the formula. I mean, c'mon!! If that doesn't say, "I've run out of ideas", I don't know what does.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:53 pm

I agree the Pinkerton is the standout Weezer record. I really like the Green album though. Great songs, great energy, great mixes. I think it has one of the best starters for a pop record. I never think of Weezer for guitar solos so Subatomic Pieces' comments never never entered into my brain until today. Maladroit is fine but nothing really stands out like on the three records before it. I keep forgetting to buy the Rick Ruben produced one... The blue record is great, but I still look to Pinkerton and the Green album a whole lot more.

Ophianthe
audio school

Post by Ophianthe » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:41 pm

maybe... :)
Ophianthe is here

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:02 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:here's my thoughts on those two post-Pinkerton albums:

Green... I admit that this is a really, really good album. There are songs on that album that are incredible. Island In The Sun is actually part of the soundtrack to our wedding video.
But, the guitar solos on that album suck dick. EVERY ONE of them is an ape of the vocal melody. You can get away with that for a song or two. Hell, if you're just an average guitar player, you could probably get away with it more often (Nirvana).. But, after the solos on Blue and Pinkerton, the Green album was a HHHHUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE disappointment in the guitar department. The songs are there, but the guitar blows.

Maladroit doesn't have many redeeming qualities in my opinion. Maladroit feels like a response to the criticism he received about the weak solos on Green. The solos on Maladroit are gratuitous wank fests. They all feel so disconnected from the songs. And, the songwriting on Maladroit is waaay below that of any of their previously released material (all B-sides included). I just couldn't find anything at all to love.

The further and further they got from Pinkerton, the more and more impersonal and calculated their music became.

After the Blue album, they came out with an album that sounded like they felt like they could do anything that they wanted. After Pinkerton's commercial failure, and the long hiatus, they seemed to make albums that sounded like they were trying to figure out what someone else wanted. Now, whether it was some record exec, or a fickle public, the point is, they were thinking too hard about it.

This could just all be bullshit. Maybe Rivers only had one PERFECT album in him. Maybe that had something to do with the hiatus. Maybe he ran out of good ideas.

I've read articles before that said that Rivers had notebooks where he "charted" all of Nirvana's songs, and other great pop songs, looking for patterns that would help him figure out the formula. I mean, c'mon!! If that doesn't say, "I've run out of ideas", I don't know what does.
With the solos I remember reading guitar player before Maladroit came out. Rivers said with Green he wanted to follow the melody and just write good pop songs or something along those lines. Then with Maladroit he wanted his solos to be out there. Good or bad, who knows? Just wanted to point it out.

Anyways, I like every album they have released. I think Maladroit is way underrated.

joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo
audio school graduate

Post by joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:20 pm

Weezer made start playing music. Weezer made me start writing songs. Weezer made me start writing good songs with melody and structure. Weezer made me start writing lyrics that were genuine. Weezer was my impetus for music and I am thankful. Their later records, became formulaic because Rivers Cuomo is an incredibly analytical but creative person and was trying to hard to write hit songs and forgot how to write from his heart. He has no want or desire now because he has taken up Vipsanna meditation. I'm assuming according to interviews he has dealt with a lifetime of stress anxiety panic and difficulty dealing with the pressure of being a "rock star". I think he has peace now. Good for him.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:33 pm

I like Weezer, all of it, so I guess I'm crazy too. Eh, so be it. I for one am sad to see them split.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:42 pm

It's too bad they all died in that plane crash after pinkerton...... all records since were recorded by evil robots.
Everything louder than everything else.