The Sound of the 70's (my youth)...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jimbabwe
audio school graduate

The Sound of the 70's (my youth)...

Post by jimbabwe » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:36 pm

I've been wondering lately, how much is my perception of musical quality affected by the point in my life where I was exposed to it.

Most of my favorite music is from the mid to late 70's, which corresponds with my impressionable early youth (born in '71).

Carol Kings' "It's Too Late" affects me way more than I think it should, Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" is a cornerstone, and the Bee Gee's songs from the"Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack are my ultimate sonic bench mark.

....Stewart Copeland.....

I know these records sound good, but should I really use them as references when I mix?

Considering most of the bands I work with these days were raised on '90s music, hyped high-end sizzle (without forgiving tape, no less). I am a dinosaur at 35, but I need the work!. :shock:
signature

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:20 pm

I think you're spot-on. I'm 37 (ergh) and find the same things. But you are gonna be working with a younger crowd, who more importantly are making music for a younger audience. Maybe don't use them as references unless the band you're working for name-drops them first, or they're stuck on a bit and you can save the day with some old-school (ergh II) nugget.

Plus, remember that "retro" rears its head every few years or so in lots of genres. If you understand how the old records oughta sound, then you'll be the guy to go to when there's a nostalgia wave like is currently happening with all these pop bands that strip-mine '80s production tricks. Or, say, the next ska wave (we're due for another one any day now). You never know. I am producing an artist right now where I heard the demos and said "it'd be interesting to explore a Carole King-Tapestry thing with this stuff" and the artist was all over it.

Also, keep in mind: many of those records sound good to you because they are good. Maybe not in fashion right now, but there's some really well-played, well-recorded stuff from that era.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:42 pm

Find your thing man.

Listening to discs from that era is about eq curve for me. I also appreciate the dynamic. Take those two things and apply them to what you work on today. Arrangements might be more simple too. Realize that. Those songs work for a reason whether the guitars were cut through a Mesa Boogie Rectifier or Diezel or not.

Groovedog
audio school graduate

Post by Groovedog » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:01 am

Born in '71 also, can totally relate to the nostalgia factor........songs from the 70's remind me of sitting in the back seat of my parents '70 Monte Carlo listening to the AM car radio

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:53 am

I still have my spiderman comic/records, and my soundtrack to the Lord of the Rings animated series from back in the day. Born in 74'. I should spin my Chuck Magnione and my Santa Esmerelda. Lest we forget the fuzz tone guitars of that decade and the excessive amounts of awesome stoner rock that burped up from the wake of the 60's.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry