Free Ep by The Spectacular Fantastic

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

acidwashed
ass engineer

Free Ep by The Spectacular Fantastic

Post by acidwashed » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:18 am

Hey guys,
I just wanted to let you all know that my band has released a free ep. You can find it by going to http://www.spectacularfantastic.net It streams right off the page so it's really a breeze to check it out. I took care of the recording details this time so any opinions would be welcome. It's too late to change anything but I do take notes for future reference. By the way, this is pure and simple pop music in case you're not into that sort of thing.
Thanks.
Mike

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:33 pm

No streaming player in Firefox. I downloaded the first song, In the Mood. Wow, 320 kbs. You are serious about sound quality.

First impression, I like it. I'm not big into pop, but this is more Indie-pop. Sort of Belle and Sebastian sounding. I like the doubled vocal. Acoustic guitar sounds good. I like that keyboard sound. Nice mix, clear sound. I'll have to check out the other songs. Good stuff.

acidwashed
ass engineer

Post by acidwashed » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:33 pm

Sorry about that..I checked it in my version of firefox and it works. Maybe it's just a plug in needed or something. That keyboard is actually a melodica with some processing. I was trying to figure out which keyboard part you were talking about at first..and yeah, since the bandwidth isn't costing me, i thought I'd put something up there that closely resembled what I had in mind hence the high bitrate. Gotta love archive.org that's for sure. Thanks for checking it out.

acidwashed
ass engineer

Post by acidwashed » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:48 pm

dusty bump..it's still there for free even.

drSproinky
audio school graduate

Post by drSproinky » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:06 pm

In the mood, very fun. Massive file size. Great vocal delivery, great mix. Guitars a bassy but it's probably my crappy PC speakers (sub all the way down, still sucks). Good job.

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

one or more links doesn't work

Post by punkrockdude » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:59 am

Hi. I want to tell youthat when I try to download the first track off of your website it won't work. Maybe faulty link? I thought you should know about it. Regards

acidwashed
ass engineer

Post by acidwashed » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:35 pm

sorry about that. it looks like it's working again. the key indicator is if the streaming player loads up the tracks..if it does, you can download it by clicking those links. with the ultra large file sizes, finding someone else to host it was a major plus. i'd say the downtime for those tracks is less than 2% which isn't too bad.

thanks for the props mr. dr.