John Lennon Remix & Remaster

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:11 pm

coniferouspine wrote:I don't have any details or evidence to back what I say, but I am pretty darn sure that there is something very heavy going on (behind the scenes) with the "de-Spectorization" of the Lennon solo albums that is not just musical. Like, I think maybe Spector might get points and royalties on the old original ones, also Allen Klein maybe, and then if it's a new Imagine "piece" in 2006 with a new catalog number, then presto, ol' man Spector doesn't get any points or revenues on the sales of the Imagine album anymore, or something like that, that's my first guess. Second guess being, they are trying to get Spector's name disassociated from Lennon's, because Spector has obviously been in headlines and jail lately for some pretty serious bad stuff, and maybe they want to distance Lennon's legend from him. Thirdly, Yoko does not like Spector because he was the one around John during the "Lost Weekend" and my guess is he probably told Spector a lot during those drunken nights, and I bet Spector knows a lot of dirt and a lot of where the skeletons are buried and stuff nobody else knows about Lennon, Yoko and even what went down with the Beatles. Or something. I definitely don't think it has 100% to do with music, actually.
This all seems very plausible to me.

Anyway, I don't know why the big deal - last time I checked, you could get most of the original lp's for less than $10 a pop..
beware bee wear

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:14 pm

Plastic Ono Band is well worth having on vinyl- and as orignal a British pressing as possible, too. That is sucha great sounding album- so minimal and direct. Yeah, they shouldn't mess with those mixes. This isn't some second rate pop star we're talking about (cue Hammertime to say that he's overrated and never did anything decent).
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599