Walk Away - Kelly Clarkson

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

MT
takin' a dinner break

Walk Away - Kelly Clarkson

Post by MT » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:35 pm

I hate to admit it, but I got in the car after dinner tonight, and this song was going as I flipped through radio on my way on a radio roundtrip to the Mesquite High School station which plays the 70's commercial free. The fucking vocal blew me away, even through secondary radio compression and all that other stuff.

This album is two years old and still going. Anyone know any detail on the vocal chain? I know it's gay, but the vocal is so goddamn incredible - have to admit, that chick can fucking sing.

Did some searching and also learned that Desmond Child was behind most of those songs. After all the hits that guy has turned out, I'm surprised he's not on the Fortune 500 every year (or is he?). He's been writing crap since I was... about 1, I think.

Edit: especially interested in that freaking cool reverby thing in the middle 8. Shit, that's cool!
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:58 pm

Listening is cool, man, but I was asking if anyone knew detail on the vocal chain...
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:59 pm

I don't know the song in question, I'll have to look for it. But Desmond Child is a really fantastic songwriter when it comes to churning out hits. That's a skill, and a craft, and he's definitely got chops at it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:50 am

she's a fantastic singer alright! i don't hear no autotuners on her songs! and she's awesome at doing harmony overdubs- i imagine there's a gazillion tracks of harmonies etc to choose from when they mix the songs. for that particular song you mention, i know that it was co-written by raine maida, a canuck who was schelpping forever with his band our lady peace, and since he and his wife chantal kreviazuk moved to LA and started selling songs to be performed by other artists (including avril) , the two have been doing very well in all ways.

another singer who doesn't need plug-in help- christina aguilera. that new song of hers is pretty awesome-a great drive to it. also is a great example of new boundary pushing recording/mixing (more mixing obviously) in terms of commercial music- seemingly simple loops/beats etc but quite hard to pull off really.
weird- lately i've been paying attention to that kind of music (the mtv/much music commercial top 40 regime) a little more than indie stuff these days. maybe i'm getting old!

DJ RELAX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DJ RELAX » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:34 pm

Roman Sokal wrote: weird- lately i've been paying attention to that kind of music (the mtv/much music commercial top 40 regime) a little more than indie stuff these days. maybe i'm getting old!
Nope, the indy scene sucks just as bad lately. As much as I hate to admit it, I agree she can sing very well.