midlake -- the trials of van occupanther

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

midlake -- the trials of van occupanther

Post by Echos Myron » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:17 pm

This record is really, really good. Recorded at home and has a fantastic sound. They really captured a different era. Definitely deserves a Tape Op interview.

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:14 am

This week, I have been digging this record a great deal as well. I would love to read an interview about these fellows in the Op.

You say this was recorded at home? They really found a great drum sound... though not perfect, it's one of those sounds you recognize as perfect for this record. Very warm 70's gold this album.

If'n there is a better "Autumn drive about the woods" record this year, send it over...

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:42 am

I don't know if these guys are still in Denton...but there is a great music scene there. Anyway, a friend of mine knows the drummer pretty well and he mentioned them to me a few years ago and for some reason the name didn't impress me. Then I stumbled onto their myspace page and grabbed their free mp3s...always liked those but they seemed a bit too lips to me...like they were trying too hard. But this newer record is a whole other thing that I want to get sooner than later.

bunny
gettin' sounds

Post by bunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:14 am

i kind of dig it. but i also skip through some of it... i can only take so much of a bosom buddy vibe. if they edited out some of the weaker tracks, it would have been one of my favorite finds this year. some nice singing by those motherscratchers

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:27 pm

I've been playing roscoe til my ears blead. Need to get the album.

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:45 pm

This is a fantastic record. They still live in Denton, but our constantly on tour in Europe because they are huge there. They really accomplished something amazing with this home recording.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:04 am

I had listented to the samples of this on itunes, intended to buy it, and totally forgot about it. Glad this thread reminded me of it.
And I love the album art. Reminds me of growing up in Virginia, for some reason.

oldsoulsound
ass engineer

Post by oldsoulsound » Tue May 29, 2007 8:36 pm

what an amazing vibe on this album. such great influeneces without sounding cliche or derivitive. i am so digging this record. someone give me some details about this recording

rollmottle
ass engineer

Post by rollmottle » Wed May 30, 2007 2:24 am

this is a home recording!? no way...unbelievable.

i love this record. total Fleetwood Mac/70s vibescape and they pulled it off to a T. dry drums, dry guitars, dry everything, all vocals harmony-doubled. so great. hard to imagine where they'll go next with their sound.

ludwig_van
gettin' sounds

Post by ludwig_van » Wed May 30, 2007 7:49 pm

I really dig this one, too.
New album, Steve Goldberg and the Arch Enemies, available now.