Saying goodbye to my old 4 track...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Mason
alignin' 24-trk

Saying goodbye to my old 4 track...

Post by Mason » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:06 pm

...in pretty fine style, if I may say.

The three new songs at www.myspace.com/thelevitations are the last ones that will be made on my 424mkIII. It's sad, but Old Blue is dying after a couple years of very heavy use. Good machine.

It is being replaced through the magic of the Tape Op message board, courtesy of my new friend George in Troy, NY. The replacement: a Tascam 688. A bold step into the early-90's by The Levitations!

I invite you to listen to our new songs - more difficult to describe, easy to enjoy music by the Levs.

Mason

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:43 pm

Ah, the 688. My advice- don't try to deal with the routing crap on that thing- just set it up once and don't mess with it. You'll see what I mean when you get it.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:52 pm

I have been listening to em and really enjoy the vibe of the 4trk. i dig that kind of rolled of high end sound you have. Songwise It reminds of the psychedlic revival in LA back in the 80's which I enjoyed very much.

Take care,
DougOOO
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:37 pm

great songs... come to chicago if you can.

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by metaphormixer » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:58 pm

i like your songs very much. and man, you really knew how to use that four track.
"all songwriters are links in a chain"

--pete seeger

my link: http://www.myspace.com/willstratton

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:50 pm

metaphormixer wrote:man, you really knew how to use that four track.
outside board/pres? mostly live? nice room? bouncing? details please!

Mason
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mason » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:22 pm

We put a LOT of hours on that machine and do a LOT of recording and I'm proud of the sound we get out of it. Two of the most recent songs are actually re-recordings we went back and did because we were unhappy with the original versions. We get pretty uptight about doing things right.

The only outboard gear we use are an old Tapco spring reverb unit that was getting rained on in someone's backyard and a high-end tape delay (used for guitars and vocals). We use a GT-44 mic for almost everything, except the kick drum for which we use an PPA LD-2. So everything is recorded through tube condensor mics. Having nice hot loud mics is a big help, considering the so-so pres on the 4-track.

We do everything overdubbed. We start with two tracks of drums (kick/overhead), followed by rhythm guitars. When we've got 4 tracks full, we bounce to CDR in stereo and then back to the 424 on tracks 1 and 2. When we fill up the remaining tracks we repeat the process until we're done. It's not an ideal system - you can make a bad mixing decision on the first bounce that you don't notice until the 3rd - but it works.

The drums are recorded in a typical, carpeted living room that you would find in any old, shitty house in Seattle. I don't think we have especially nice rooms. We aren't shy about laying on the EQ to brighten something up.

Other than the ingenuity and quality of our guitar player, Steve (who is as responsible for these recordings as I am), I think the most important factor in the sound of our is the DBX trick where you record with the DBX engaged, then turn it off on playback to compress the signal. I feel that my life didn't really begin until the day we stumbled across that trick.

If any of you have friends in Seattle who need a place to do demos, we'd be happy to have them in. We occasionally do other bands and it's a treat to record other people.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope we don't blow it all with this new infusion of high techmology.

Come see us at the (sometimes) Fun House in Seattle on August 30th.