Funkadelic: Maggot Brain

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Funkadelic: Maggot Brain

Post by mjau » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:40 pm

Listening to it as we speak. What a fucking album. What an amazing fucking album.

Anyways, yeah, carry on.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Fuck. Yeah.

Eddie Hazel made me realize that guitar solos are not necessarily gratuitous, in fact, quite necessary at times.

It's been a while since I put that album on, I'm gonna have to pull it out soon.

Thanks for the reminder!
not to worry, just keep tracking....

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:47 pm

Eddie Hazel was definitely one of the best rock guitarists ever. I like his playing on "Red Hot Mama" also.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:36 pm

hammertime wrote:Eddie Hazel was definitely one of the best rock guitarists ever.
So true, and so underrated, too.

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:41 pm

Can You Get to That is my favorite song of all time. I still love it every time I hear it and everything about it is perfect to my ears.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:43 pm

I used to go find those old P-Funk at used record stores back in the 80s. First thing I did when I went to the record store was look for them. They were always like 2 dollars in perfect condition. Even if the music wasn't always that great, the record covers would make up for it. They used to have all these little cartoons where they'd make fun of everyone else ("Stink Floyd" "Mick Jagoof" "Dirt, Poot, and Fire" etc.). You really can't get that in i-tunes or from a cd. I must say that buying vinyl was a hell of alot more fun.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:52 pm

Yeah, the album covers are fantastic. "Can You Get to That' is so incredible - it somehow manages to be extremely melodic yet so fucking heavy. Not many songs have ever pulled that off. Jebjerome - great signature, by the way. That was an album that definitely turned me on to music in a big, big way.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:41 am

i think my favourite from the 1st 3 has gotta be the very end of
"Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow"

the part where they start freaking the fuck out with the stereo pan on the mix..

that shit sounds like Fun!

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:44 am

eddie hazel was sheer brilliance. the solo in maggot brain is the trippiest thing i have ever heard. funkadelic was so damn heavy in addition to being funky.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:01 am

Funkadelic are one of thee greatest bands...supreme masters! :worthy:

I distinctly remember the first time I heard one of their records in a San Francisco music shop...the opening cut off their first record, "Mommy, What's a Funkadelic". It was one of those classic revelatory "WTF is this!" musical moments. Most of the P-Funk stuff is pretty cool...even some of the disco stuff. Those first three records, however, are IT and never fail to toast my head every time I spin them.

'Maggot Brain' is probably their tour-de-force and the 'Free Your Mind' title cut could be their crown star freakout, but my favorite tune is probably 'Music for my Mother'. The vibe is so thick on that, I get chills every time I hear it...seriously. Most definitely some "...waaay back yonder funk"

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:57 pm

The Fear of being eaten by a sandwich!
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry