two songs- pop/psychedelic/experimental

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

julia
audio school graduate

two songs- pop/psychedelic/experimental

Post by julia » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:01 pm

hello, i've posted here a few times before. i have two new songs recorded (well, one is actually a revamp of one i did in early 2005). listen, if you want, and any feedback would be appreciated!

bear's castle

bad days revisited (this is the revamped song; drums and other assorted things were added)

there are two more songs on my myspace.

thank you for listening! i use pro tools 6-ish and an mbox to record.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:42 pm

I liked the second one, and parts of the first. The first one is a little too poppy for my taste. The second one is really well done-- what's that one sound that's kind of like crumpling paper or ice in a drink glass or something? It adds an "Atom Heart Mother" (Pink Floyd) feel to it. Parts of it remind me of I am the Walrus in the arrangement. Nice sounds, well put-together.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:28 pm

The first one sort of sounds like a cross between Phillip Glass and Moonraker. It also reminds me of the old instrumentals and early tracker songs I wrote years ago. Very minimilistic. I like. Did you by any chance use samples of a C64 on this one?

I like the second one too.

This music is quite refreshing. The layered female vocals definately reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it. I have a mix tape around here somewhere with some old "goth" music that was made for me by a guy I met at a gun show. Kind of reminds me of something from that tape.

I like the other stuff on your MySpace page as well. Please be my friend. lol

I really love the art on the real website.

julia
audio school graduate

Post by julia » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:03 pm

ubertar- thanks! i'm glad you like the second one. i was pretty unhappy with how it sounded before adding the new parts in, but now it seems to be getting good feedback. that crumply paper sound was made by an instrument that i'm not sure of. it's a stick that has a bunch of hollow wooden balls attached by string, and i created the sound by grinding the balls together in my hand. i think there were also some muffled sleighbell bells in it.

sleepy- are you saying my first song sounds minimalist, or that your old work did? if the former, then i find that interesting, since i personally feel the song is kind of overproduced! ha, and unfortunately no C64 samples. i am your friend on myspace now :). thanks for checking out the art!

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:04 pm

Ya, it sounds a bit minimilistic (melody wise). People have said that about my older stuff. I like it.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:37 pm

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:
This music is quite refreshing. The layered female vocals definately reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it.
Mum?

second song is great - lots of little parts that seem like they shouldn't go together but really work well.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:47 pm

very nice! i actually think i like the first one a little more, now that i've listened to it a few times; especially the end bits, where it gets kind of spare- and then the drums come in again...melancholic in the melody, yet the percussive bits keep it moving forward. nice balance. the drum part in the second one does sound a bit ringo walrus-like. dreamy...

julia
audio school graduate

Post by julia » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:22 pm

thank you both for your kind words, and for your analyzations. it is fun to bring together seemingly odd sounds and timbres and percussion and try to make it fit together. :)

mum is a big influence vocal-wise. i used to sing at a higher pitch to mimic it more, but have since gone a little more natural.