I've had it with these moody dropped D bands...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:33 pm

There's nothing new under the sun. You can be a man and wear dark makeup and dress outlandishly, and write about the darkside of life...but that's nothing new. And musically speaking, there's nothing new or exciting going on either, in this genre under discussion. If you want metal listen to the first three Metallica albums or some earlier Faith No More. If you want to see some men in makeup actually playing good tunes check out some early David Bowie or Marc Bolan.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:38 am

bitsyras wrote:I saw Deerhoof live for the first time yesterday after listening to their cd's for a while and was reminded of the way I felt the first time I heard the Pixies - here's something loose (yet tight), bizarre, and catchy and FUN and totally unlike anything else I'm hearing today. Kinda gave me hope seeing that there's still bands out there that don't give a shit about conforming to one of the many pre-fab cookie-cutter genres so prevalent these days.

-m
exactly- reminds me of a radio interview with charles thompson- he basically just brought in a bunch of records that he'd been listening to, and it was clear by the selection that he listens to a wide range of fairly obscure stuff. i doubt most of the bands we're bashing here have those kinds of wide musical interests, let alone allow them into the formula of what they produce. it's pretty amazing how quickly things settle back into the droll muck once they're stirred up a bit...i guess it's entropy.

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:21 pm

Maybe Warrent is today's Warrent.

They played my town Friday night. I'm not even joking.

Heaven isn't too far away, folks...
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Here is one possibility of today's Warrant:

http://warrant.com/home/

Looks vaguely financial in nature.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:30 pm

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:31 pm

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:56 pm

saultime wrote:Maybe Warrent is today's Warrent.

They played my town Friday night. I'm not even joking.

Heaven isn't too far away, folks...
On similar note, Journey and Def Lepard played an ampitheater in my region a couple of days ago. Well...maybe it's not fair to put Journey in the same league.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:24 pm

iwokojance wrote:Well...maybe it's not fair to put Journey in the same league.
true... doesn't Warrant still have all their original members?

:)
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

bocmaxima
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bocmaxima » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:07 pm

saultime wrote:The point of a rant is to rant. There's nothing to "get."

And me ranting about the VMA's after watching the show isn't all that different from you ranting about my post after having read it. There are lots of threads on this board to click on.

I'm just tired of the ubiquitessness of black nail polish and eyeliner, and am lamenting the return of what amounts to glam-metal. It's crap, and it's everywhere, and it's about as far away from rock as I can imagine. Except for maybe sugar punk. A.F.I can eat a bag of dick.

Oh, and the VMA's weren't all crap--I liked the thing with Jack White's band and Billy Gibbons playing "Cheap Sunglasses."

Oh, and Lou Reed. But I doubt if many of the kids had heard of him before.
I understand that, but ranting about trends doesnt do anything. There have always been trends and always will be. The only thing you can do about them is not support them, by say, watching the VMAs. It's the same thing that happened with the garage rock explosion, the grunge explosion, the synthpop explosion. You can weed out the good bands, or you can ignore it altogether. If you ignore it all together you might be robbing yourself of some good stuff.

You said The Raconteurs were good, and I agree, but you know what, they aren't doing anything new. Hell, they aren't even copying stuff in this decade, but its still good because it's their honest interpretation.

There's always good music, and some of it just might be made by those bands you hate.

Sometimes, I think there is a correlation between artists who stop putting out quality material, and ones who rant about the good old days when music was better.
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.
-M. C. Escher
Shameless Self-Promotion
Shameless Self-Promotion: Redux

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:16 am

Doesn't Tool tune down to D? And I guess they're kinda moody. But I like their stuff.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:31 pm

bocmaxima wrote:Anyway, thats not my point. The point is that theres always been a lot of popular crap, but just because they are popular doesnt make them all horrible. Look at Led Zeppelin, they were hugely popular, dressed like complete asses and made some of the most pretentious music that ever was. I haven't seen anyone bash them in this thread yet. :lol:
Oh, sorry, I'm late. Led Zeppelin was a sad, overrated crappy loud ripoff of a bunch of blues guys by a group of sissies with pretty long hair and a serious alcohol habit. When they weren't ripping off blues guys, they were writing freaking songs about hobbits. And, if their records weren't bad enough, they were even worse live. Bonham was too wasted to play, Plant's voice was cracking all over the place and Page played like he had two broken hands.

Ahh, I feel better now. :lol:

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Johnny B wrote:
bocmaxima wrote:Anyway, thats not my point. The point is that theres always been a lot of popular crap, but just because they are popular doesnt make them all horrible. Look at Led Zeppelin, they were hugely popular, dressed like complete asses and made some of the most pretentious music that ever was. I haven't seen anyone bash them in this thread yet. :lol:
Oh, sorry, I'm late. Led Zeppelin was a sad, overrated crappy loud ripoff of a bunch of blues guys by a group of sissies with pretty long hair and a serious alcohol habit. When they weren't ripping off blues guys, they were writing freaking songs about hobbits. And, if their records weren't bad enough, they were even worse live. Bonham was too wasted to play, Plant's voice was cracking all over the place and Page played like he had two broken hands.

Ahh, I feel better now. :lol:
That's pretty funny. Zeppelin and Hobbits. Whoduthunkit? Spock did it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04

Anyway, I've never seen footage (except for Moby Dick) where Bonham didn't play steady, though I'm sure it happened. I've only seen what's been officially released.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:08 am

iwokojance wrote: That's pretty funny. Zeppelin and Hobbits. Whoduthunkit? Spock did it better.

Anyway, I've never seen footage (except for Moby Dick) where Bonham didn't play steady, though I'm sure it happened. I've only seen what's been officially released.
Ahh, now there's a quality album, Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy. I've been meaning to pick that up, that and Two Sides of the Moon, but the budget just hasn't been there.

As for Led Zep, I really do think they're the most overrated band in rock. I was into them when I was like 14 or 15 and when I saw The Song Remains the Same, I had an epiphany which ran something along the lines of "This band is crap!" I do still have a few of their albums on vinyl, though.