Your Definitive Sound

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Your Definitive Sound

Post by jamoo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:28 am

Do you have a definitive sound?

If so, how did you arrive at it?

I'm prompted by Gary Glitter's stompy, clap-rich rhythm section
and his 'elephant lead', a mix of (tone-down) fuzz guitar and perhaps some kind of horn.

Everything I've heard sounds like this, and I got to thinking, how does this happen?

He could've 'butt rawked', gone 'progressive', rehashed the 50's, but nope, we get

'elephant lead'.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:53 pm

I believe as a player and as a producer and as an engineer I have a 'sound.' My brain is unique unto me and therefore I react certain ways and thus do certain things. Sometimes that means I place the lead vocal in a certain place. Sometime it means I tune toms a certain way. Whatever way that might be based on the situation at hand my reaction to it will be mine and thus "my sound."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:56 pm

drumsound wrote:I believe as a player and as a producer and as an engineer I have a 'sound.' My brain is unique unto me and therefore I react certain ways and thus do certain things. Sometimes that means I place the lead vocal in a certain place. Sometime it means I tune toms a certain way. Whatever way that might be based on the situation at hand my reaction to it will be mine and thus "my sound."
Tony definitely has a sound, because a commercial for a local pawn shop has a song that, upon first hearing, I instantly knew was recorded by him. The first snare hit made me go, "Yup, that was done at Tony's place, by Tony. It's the Tony snare sound." Good stuff.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:59 pm

Right. I guess my question was more along the lines of 'How did it get that way?'

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:15 am

I've never really tried to have a sound, but a few people have sia dover the years that my stuff is all pretty different yet still sounds like me. I guess it's the decisions you make, your taste in things, that kind of stuff that makes that sound.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:05 am

I have an engineer friend that once said that all engineers' work can be divided into one of 4 categories:

Big Room - Big Sound
Big Room - Little Sound
Little Room - Big Sound
Little Room - Little Sound

Please note: there is nothing negative implied by "little sound" or any of the combinations.

He then added that my own work fell under Big Room, Big Sound.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:40 am

i'm working on 'little room, big sound'.

sometimes more like, 'bursting out of a little room' sound.

but mostly i just call it 'digital reverb' sound.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:01 pm

I haven't really developed an sound in my recording that I know of yet. On drums, I guess a blend of Mitch Mitchell and Michael Shrieve.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:40 pm

I don't have a sound, and I don't know if I ever will. I am willing to try something different on every song, let alone every band.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:26 am

My sound: lots of phase issues, 60 cycle hum, tons o' lower-mid "mud", non-existant bass drum. Who wants to book some time???? :lol:
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:43 am

JASIII wrote:My sound: lots of phase issues, 60 cycle hum, tons o' lower-mid "mud", non-existant bass drum. Who wants to book some time???? :lol:
quit stealing my sound!

Ian

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:05 pm

mjau wrote:
drumsound wrote:I believe as a player and as a producer and as an engineer I have a 'sound.' My brain is unique unto me and therefore I react certain ways and thus do certain things. Sometimes that means I place the lead vocal in a certain place. Sometime it means I tune toms a certain way. Whatever way that might be based on the situation at hand my reaction to it will be mine and thus "my sound."
Tony definitely has a sound, because a commercial for a local pawn shop has a song that, upon first hearing, I instantly knew was recorded by him. The first snare hit made me go, "Yup, that was done at Tony's place, by Tony. It's the Tony snare sound." Good stuff.
And I didn't even play on that, though it's my drums.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:40 pm

little, little everything.
i get there by doing everything wrong. small spaces, room mics just laying on things.. leaving fans on. getting friends who can't play an instrument to play one.
re-micing my studio monitors.. not amps.. etc.

panda

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:18 pm

pandatone wrote:getting friends who can't play an instrument to play one.
aha, me too.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:52 pm

all of my recordings sound like they time traveled from the 70's. A strange cross between Jon Brion and Jim O'Rourke's production styles. (and nowhere near as good though)