Biggest Grind Guitars Ever.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Biggest Grind Guitars Ever.

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:54 am

http://rottensound.wotanworks.net/audio/rs_decay.mp3

The above is from the new Rotten Sound CD. I think that these are some of the biggest and most gritty metal guitars I've ever heard. I also like that the drums have a lot of room in the sound. If more metal was recorded like this...well...I would quit my job and just listen to it all the time.

I have achieved similar results using 3-4 amps of all sizes mixed together, but nothing that quite has this grit. The "Sunlight" sound on steroids.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:39 pm

\m/

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:05 pm

Those guitars really sound like Godflesh. That's not a bad thing.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Timetogrind
audio school graduate

Post by Timetogrind » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:34 am

When I saw Rotten sound a few yers ago, The guitar player was playing a Esp/LTD guitar. The bass player had distortion on his sound also.
Getting that buzz saw sound is a challenge. I was testing out a Karma K-Micro mic(the tiny ones for $5) and it was breaking up pretty bad on my amp around a foot away, and I thought "this could be the start of getting that buzz saw guitar sound". Sometimes distortion box cranked into a smaller amp w/ a little gain from the amp and can produce that sound.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:43 am

Rotten Sound is such an intense band. one of my favorite grind bands for sure. their recordings always sound great. everything is so in your face, but balanced really well. guitars sound massive. it's a nice change to the usual up-front kick and snare triggers blanketing the guitars. it's really hard to get the guitars to remain on top during the really chaotic blast parts, but they do a really good job of it. i have "Exit" on vinyl and "Murderworks" and they kill.

if you dig that sound you should check out Nasum if you haven't already. especially "Human 2.0" and "Helvete". great great swedish grindcore.

Misery Index and Commit Suicide are also 2 of the best. Commit Suicide's records are great examples of amazingly heavy sounding recordings with no triggers whatsoever. their first album "Human Larvae" was recorded live. my band opened for them a few years ago and they're one of the tightest bands i've ever seen.

great to find some other grind fans on here. thanks for posting this.

-Ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:57 pm

I've actaully seen Nasum live! I'm a huge fan. Cool to see others with taste here!

Have you heard old Rotten Sound? I didn't get into them until Murderworks came out, because the older stuff that I had heard was really different, and I didn't like it at the time. I like it now though. I like Commit Suicide, esp Human Larve. If you're looking for top notch grind, I also recommend Sayyadina! Jesus they are intense!

I will look for a Karma K-micro too. Never heard of it!

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:18 pm

Also: The Big Lebowski avatar makes my day!!

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:30 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:Those guitars really sound like Godflesh. That's not a bad thing.
Yup. That sound definitely owes something to Justin Broadrick, whether it's Godflesh or the first Napalm Death record. What's crazy about Justin's sound is he plays a Strat. It's either one of those Heavy Metal Strats or a copy, I forget which. When I saw them live in '93 it was that guitar through a Boss Metal Zone and a Marshall. The bassist used the same pedal, but I forget the amp. I still can't believe how huge that sound was with only two people.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:19 am

Kevin Kitchel wrote:I've actaully seen Nasum live! I'm a huge fan. Cool to see others with taste here!
have you picked up the new 2-disc discography that Relapse put out? it has all their 7"s, compilation/split recordings and b-sides that never made it onto their fullengths.... starts at the very beginning of their career and ends up right where they left off. there's like 120-something songs. really really awesome stuff. great packaging as well. has an 80 page booklet that talks a lot about their history.
Have you heard old Rotten Sound? I didn't get into them until Murderworks came out, because the older stuff that I had heard was really different, and I didn't like it at the time. I like it now though. I like Commit Suicide, esp Human Larve. If you're looking for top notch grind, I also recommend Sayyadina! Jesus they are intense!
i have heard a small amount of older RS. wasn't into it as much though, so i never bought any of it. Sayyadina is pretty awesome as well. i've only heard a couple of songs, but i liked them a lot.
Kevin Kitchel wrote:Also: The Big Lebowski avatar makes my day!!
hahaha. "The Dude abides."
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:22 am

Johnny B wrote:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:Those guitars really sound like Godflesh. That's not a bad thing.
Yup. That sound definitely owes something to Justin Broadrick, whether it's Godflesh or the first Napalm Death record.
i was reading that on the newest Napalm Death record, Mitch Harris did a layer of 6-string guitars, then another layer of 12-string guitars on top of that. i know that you're talking about a completely different guitarist and era of ND, but i thought that that was interesting.

-R.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:39 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Johnny B wrote:
Yup. That sound definitely owes something to Justin Broadrick, whether it's Godflesh or the first Napalm Death record.
i was reading that on the newest Napalm Death record, Mitch Harris did a layer of 6-string guitars, then another layer of 12-string guitars on top of that. i know that you're talking about a completely different guitarist and era of ND, but i thought that that was interesting.

-R.
Are you talking about Smear Campaign or The Code Is Red? Code is really great! Enemy and Code are some really refreshing metal/grind albums, and the lyrics are top shelf!

PS - Yes, I have Grind Finale, and it rips. Tonight I'm going to see Sunday Morning Einstiens near Detroit (bass player from Sayyadina, drummer from Wolfpack)!!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Johnny B wrote:

-R.
Are you talking about Smear Campaign or The Code Is Red? Code is really great! Enemy and Code are some really refreshing metal/grind albums, and the lyrics are top shelf
"Smear Campaign". "The Code Is Red" is awesome. i really like "Order of the Leech" as well. i've heard really good things about "Enemy...".

I recently picked up that 2-disc set they put out as well that has a lot of their really old stuff from the 80's.

have you read Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death-Metal and Grindcore (http://www.choosingdeath.com/)?. there's some really interesting stuff in there about N.D. Like how the blast beat originated from Napalm's original drummer and another dude having a contest with each other over who could play the fastest. :lol:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:04 pm

Dudes, metal bros, I just did monitors for that Hatebreed "monsters of Mayhem tour" with Napalm Death, Exodus, Despised Icon, First Blood, and Black Dahlia murder. That was a fun fun day. I'm going to go check out this Rotten Sound stuff. That grindy sound is harder to get than everybody thinks. Gain alone wont do it, ya know?
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:27 am

Johnny B wrote:
Yup. That sound definitely owes something to Justin Broadrick, whether it's Godflesh or the first Napalm Death record. What's crazy about Justin's sound is he plays a Strat. It's either one of those Heavy Metal Strats or a copy, I forget which. When I saw them live in '93 it was that guitar through a Boss Metal Zone and a Marshall. The bassist used the same pedal, but I forget the amp. I still can't believe how huge that sound was with only two people.
I remember reading an interview w/ Broadrick re the Godflesh sound. IIRC the Marshall was set fairly clean and the Metal Zone was doing most of the work.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:21 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:i was reading that on the newest Napalm Death record, Mitch Harris did a layer of 6-string guitars, then another layer of 12-string guitars on top of that. i know that you're talking about a completely different guitarist and era of ND, but i thought that that was interesting.

-R.
Oh, I'll bet that sounds awesome. I played a solid-body 12 through a Marshall once, just to see what it would sound like. I couldn't believe how good it actually sounded. If I'd had the money and it wasn't a Steinberg, I'd have bought it, just for layering rhythm tracks. I dig Mitch Harris' playing. I love that first Meathook Seed record. In fact, I much prefer it to the ND album that followed (Fear, Emptiness, Despair).
Recycled_Brains wrote:"Smear Campaign". "The Code Is Red" is awesome. i really like "Order of the Leech" as well. i've heard really good things about "Enemy...".

I recently picked up that 2-disc set they put out as well that has a lot of their really old stuff from the 80's.
I missed Order of the Leech, but I really like those other two quite a bit. I'll have to get the new one as well. How is that 2-disc set? I've wondered if the stuff on the second disc was worth picking it up or not.