First mix of HEAVY/PUNK stuff - please feedback!!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dynomike
carpal tunnel

First mix of HEAVY/PUNK stuff - please feedback!!

Post by dynomike » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:13 pm

This weekend Ryan recorded an old friend's new band at the studio and I did most of the mixing today, and just threw together a quick (plug in) master.

I have basically no experience doing 'heavy' music but found it really really fun to work with, and I think it turned out fairly well.. but those who know heavy music, please, feel free to tear me apart. I know the kick isn't as clicky as most are. Its not triggered or anything and I haven't boosted any high end, so its unusual for the style. I think it works though in the mix.. but realize that may be a point of concern.. other than that.. I think its fine.. so tell me where I'm wrong!

http://www.sleepytownsound.com/mp3/THE% ... ECLINE.mp3

-Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:50 am

I think it sounds pretty good. It reminds me more of the older hard core with the mixing style. You know, when albums still came out on cassette tapes. heh I would like the drums to have a little more ooomph, but I think it's still a nice mix.

will.record.for.food
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by will.record.for.food » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:41 am

Mike.

I saw dynomike as the author, and my heart smiled. I really like all your work! Congrats on the studio gig...thats really cool. I wish I could do music production for a living. I think it all sounds good. I would just give the snare more hi end...just a bit.
http://www.purevolume.com/goodfightgoodnight
Torches together, hand in hand

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:30 am

re: congrats - Thanks! I'm obviously excited about it myself.

I guess it is a kind of dark mix - I think I might remix with the drum buss up a touch and less low-mids on the guitars. Just because it is kinda dark.

re: older hard core: The guys in this band seem in their 30s, so that explains that, kind of. It seemed what they were going for sonically... the drummer had an older Ludwig kit and they were playing 70s les pauls.. that kind of thing.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:13 pm

Just giving it a listen on cheap headphones (I'm sitting in the airport on the free wireless), I think the kick drum sounds fine. But I can't stand the kick drum sounds on more recent metal and hardcore albums (you know, ones after like 1988). I agree with the previous comment about the snare drum, though. It could stand to be a bit brighter. Other than that, though, it sounds pretty good, particularly the vocals. It can be difficult to get those to sound good in that type of music.

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:43 pm

i think the overall mood of the song is good. very planes mistaken for stars like.