First tracks after absorber install, new house...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

First tracks after absorber install, new house...

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:30 pm

Hey, I've been working on my band's house improving the acoustics of the basement tracking room and my 3rd floor bedroom control room. We're working on a new record, and I've borrowed a friend's sytek and 414's. I've only installed about half of the oc703 and mineral wool i bought recently.

here's a sample of drums.
http://www.doctorandphilip.com/Sugarmama%20sample.mp3
my tastes have changed slightly and am trying to get a very tight, dark drum sound. this mp3 was rendered down from 88.2k, 24 bit.

gear:
Kick - D112-->Sytek(
Sn. - SM81-->Sytek
OH L &R- (glyn johns-ish) - C414's, wide cardioid-->Sytek
EV 635a at center of kit -->MOTU 828mk2 pre
Room - SM81 (weird, but it was better than the bluebird, c1, and mk319)-->828 pre

there's a wallet on the snare. i think i've compressed the center omni a little, and maybe rolled off some highs from the room. i took off the "Albinizing" 20 ms delay.

glagola1
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by glagola1 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:08 am

That sounds pretty good. I guess the only thing I would suggest to get it to fit my tastes right now would be to place an omni somewhere in the house so that no direct sounds from the drums hit it but where there would be rich reverberant sounds. Compress and blend to taste. Over all I think it is a little "close" sounding. Also if you are looking for "tight" sounds then maybe try a mono overhead. The GJ-ish OH placement is not really condusive to "tightness" in my experience.

Rock on.
I miss the days of Ass Engineer.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:24 pm

cool, thanks. i should probably try to get more "distance" out of the room mic. i just got even more OC insulation to hopefully continue to kill some of that 5-800Hz energy and even out the low end more...

i guess one of the cool things about the "glyn johns"-like scheme is i can just mute the right side one, and i've got a mono overhead left over! but that 635a is kind of a mono ....at-head. level. whatever.

i did some mixing, carved out some "boink", played with some compression settings. this is definitely a good place for me to start, just need to keep tweaking. thanks again.