Grizzlybear?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Grizzlybear?

Post by bannerj » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:13 pm

I venture over to Pitchfork sometimes and try to sift through some of that BS to find something new. Grizzlybear? Kinda amazing and haunting at the same time. Has anyone listened to their new record two times in the same day? I want to get something that is not just interesting but actually listenable for more than once.

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:15 pm

grizzly bear are wonderful. i think i'm in the minority that prefers horn of plenty though? the new one is still really good though.

i got to see them in at the black sheep inn (in wakefield, quebec) which makes everything just a little bit better.

(do make say think actually have a track called Auberge le Mouton Noir... enough of that little side rant. but if you're ever touring canada. play there)
trouble clef.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:23 pm

I've been listening to portions of the new record on their myspace and what is streamed on their website. They are listed as experimental. What is so experimental about fusing what sounds like three diferent songs into one track? It is kinda frustrating because I really really like several parts of what I am hearing. I do like the notion of post-rock too. I just think that maybe other groups pull it off as an overall sound instead what sounds like a modg-podg over various fragments. Hell, I think I am still going to have to get this record.

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Post by brainfreezebob » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:52 pm

I've been listening to Yellow House for a few months. Great record, kinda like all the things I like about Animal Collective without all the things I don't like. But then I went and saw them live, and it kind of ruined it for me. They're an absolutely amazing live band, and they do the tightest four-part harmonies I've ever seen (besides, maybe, Brian Wilson's Smile tour). Too bad their record is too burried in effects to really hear that side of them. Still, great songs. Definitely go see them play if you can.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:19 am

I have yet to hear them, but I know that chris bear (the drummer) is a great musician. we went to the New School Jazz/Contemporary music program here in ny, and he was a great jazz and free jazz drummer with great taste in rock and electronic music... I remember talking to him about grzzlybear when they were just getting started and it sounded cool. I should really check it out now. nice to hear about talented people I know getting signed to Warp!

go team.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

swishniak
audio school graduate

Post by swishniak » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:32 am

yeah i like the new record alot too..

anyone hear any info on the recording of it? i heard they recorded it themselves in the uhh... yellow house. but no word of dig./analog gear. recorded together /overdubs etc...

this is the place to be nerdy about this kinda stuff, right?

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:24 pm

I have since gotten the record...probably one of my most favorite of the past year! I too would love to know more about their recording process.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:39 am

i like it. it made up for lots of crap 06 had.

one complaint:

too many distance mics!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

ludwig_van
gettin' sounds

Post by ludwig_van » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:52 am

I've been listening to Yellow House constantly for the past few weeks. Really fascinating record, lots of cool sounds. But it always makes me wonder about what makes someone to decide to constantly use those kinds of effects, like on the vocals and such. From brainfreezebob's description it sounds like they come across pretty differently live.

rmills
audio school graduate

Post by rmills » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:59 am

zachary wrote:grizzly bear are wonderful. i think i'm in the minority that prefers horn of plenty though? the new one is still really good though.

i got to see them in at the black sheep inn (in wakefield, quebec) which makes everything just a little bit better.

(do make say think actually have a track called Auberge le Mouton Noir... enough of that little side rant. but if you're ever touring canada. play there)
best little venue in the area, for sure. i love the train that passes through every so often.

i saw grizzly bear in barrie last year. i wasn't totally blown away but the reviews i've read of their album(s) always seem pretty exciting. not a bad show by any means but it just didn't knock me on my ass the way i like.

friar_tuck
audio school

Yellow House is easily my favorite relase of 06

Post by friar_tuck » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:38 pm

pet sounds for the future- outstanding. I love the use of room mics, psych effects on vox, and obviously- a totally unique sense of songcraft.

ndstgmoe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ndstgmoe » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I have not heard them yet, but apparantly, Yellow House syncs up with the movie The City of Lost Children... you know, if you're into that sort of thing.
http://www.freewebs.com/12computers/cit ... ildren.htm

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by metaphormixer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:26 am

can any of you guys hear exactly what effects they're using on vocals and elsewhere? i'm intrigued. i do kind of agree about there being too much distance mic-ing, but i'm still interested in knowing more about how they got the sounds on yellow house.
"all songwriters are links in a chain"

--pete seeger

my link: http://www.myspace.com/willstratton

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:27 am

i can never make it through this CD. not cause its not any good.
but i hit play.. and withing minutes im thinking. man. oliva tremor control was great!
and i put some OTC on instead. so much better. (or circulatory system)
yellow house to me. just sounds like really conservative OTC. and or, a more pop manitoba / caribou.

just me?

panda

metaphormixer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by metaphormixer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:08 pm

i see where you're coming from. but the problem i've always had with otc, as much as i love some of their stuff, was that they never seemed to know where to draw the line--they just threw track after track onto every song they did. i like a little bit of restraint sometimes. the thing that does it for me about the grizzly bear record is the way they arranged the woodwinds. really nice-sounding stuff. and i don't hear manitoba so much in yellow house, but man do i love manitoba.
"all songwriters are links in a chain"

--pete seeger

my link: http://www.myspace.com/willstratton