Weezer - Pinkerton (cmon...)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:52 pm

Don't you guys think the constant open hi-hat bashing takes away from it all? As in the lower mids of the toms and kick that would be much more audible (and as far as I can tell, pretty awesome sounding)
It's just non stop on some songs. Boogers.

Kieth Moon is about the limit of what I can take cymbal wise.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:20 pm

In my top ten favorite albums of all time. - I mean they never came close to it again. I love the sound of everything.

On the hats, they don't really bother me cause they are so over the top like everything else on the album. It really feels like being in the room with a band where they are just bashing away. It helps that he is pounding the bass and snare.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

audio school

Re: Weezer - Pinkerton (cmon...)

Post by 4133 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Does anyone know how to approximate this drum sound in DAWs such as Logic Pro X drummer or with one of the stand-alone drummer plug ins?

To my ears, I still have not found a better rock and roll drum and bass sound. And the poster above, nailed it on the guitars. They are in the back and mid-rangey which allows the drums and bass to do their thing.

I’m not sure if people still have interest in this record or not.

audio school

Post by 4133 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Does anyone know how to approximate this drum sound in DAWs such as Logic Pro X drummer or with one of the stand-alone drummer plug ins?

To my ears, I still have not found a better rock and roll drum and bass sound. And the poster above nailed it on the guitars. They are in the back and mid-rangey which allows the drums and bass to do their thing.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 20, 2020 8:04 pm

Zo-om-bie, Zo-om-bie, Zo-om-bie-eh-ee-eh-ee Threa-ed...

I think to get Pat’s drum sound, you have to start with a bad attitude about anyone from your hometown, and denigrate them needlessly in the press every chance you get. That’s the real secret sauce...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 21, 2020 6:41 am

4133 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 pm

To my ears, I still have not found a better rock and roll drum and bass sound. And the poster above nailed it on the guitars. They are in the back and mid-rangey which allows the drums and bass to do their thing.

1996. So, probably not.

As to approximating a real drummer with a plug in... also, no. You have to learn about feeling, and also how to hit the drums, which drumkit, which engineer recorded it, in which studio, the gear, etc. A plug in simply cannot get close.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.