November 10th, 1975

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:46 am

junkshop wrote:He must be on the mend. He just announced a Canadian tour ending with his annual run of shows at Massey Hall in Toronto.
I saw him back in July. He's been touring a good bit of this past year.
JASIII wrote:It's kind of amazing, the power that song holds. Ive seen guys get up and do it at open mics and the place will get real quiet, people who were talking and drinking and not paying attention suddenly perk up. Either that or people go nuts and sing along. Either way, there's a certain respectful reverence that is attached to that song.
The irony is that when I saw him, there were a bunch of drunk rednecks there and when he announced that they would be ending the first set with a song about a tragedy, a bunch of these assholes started yelling, "Yeah!" Here was Gordon trying to tell the story about how these 29 men are still at the bottom of the lake and these fuckers are yelling enthusiastically. So much for reverence.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:01 pm

Kevin Kitchel wrote:
cgarges wrote:
Kevin Kitchel wrote:Two of my friends work on iron ore freighters in the great lakes. One of their brothers got married, and they played that song at the reception.
That's kind of dark, don't you think?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
More than kind of dark...yeah!!
NOBODY listens to lyrics for wedding songs. "Every Breath You Take", for example.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:13 pm

I used to have this big long list of inappropriate wedding songs memorized...

"Every Breath You Take"
"The One I Love"
"One Way Out"
"Your Cheating Heart"
"Ode To Billy Joe"
"And I Will Always Love You"

etc.

Chris Garges
Charlotte,NC

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:51 pm

cgarges wrote:I used to have this big long list of inappropriate wedding songs memorized...

"Every Breath You Take"
"The One I Love"
"One Way Out"
"Your Cheating Heart"
"Ode To Billy Joe"
"And I Will Always Love You"

etc.

Chris Garges
Charlotte,NC
I was just at a wedding and wanted to hear some Stevie Wonder, the only song the DJ had was 'Part time lover", which brought us to this conversation. I suppose "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" would be on that list too.

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:50 am

My band played an instrumental version of Ode To Billie Joe at a wedding a couple years ago. I suppose it's less inappropriate if it's instrumental...

Yes, still loving WOTEF.

-Pete

www.weissy.com
www.weisstronauts.com
www.verdantstudio.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Today's the day again. 35 years.

I'm actually going out to have a beer with the aforementioned pedal steel player, Bob Barone (a native of upstate New York, who, growing up in the Great Lakes area has a heavy reverence for the song) this evening to toast the ship and its crew.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:20 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyaEDWf_dG8

Radio chatter between the Coast Guard and the Arthur Anderson as they realize that the Fitzgerald has gone down.

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:16 am

I'm a young guy and have only heard this song here and there on the oldies stations. Listening to it with a critical ear yields some surprising stuff!

Lightfoots headvoice is very rich and open. I always thought of him as one of those songwriter guys like Kristofferson of Jimmy Webb who wasn't much of a singer. Misconception corrected.

Those are some groovy synths weaving in and out!

As Chris mentioned, love the sumptuous cardboard boxes masquerading as toms and whizzing hither and yon about the stereo field.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com