Records...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

instamatic
ass engineer

Records...

Post by instamatic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:28 am

Anyone still have records? I will never get rid of mine...which leads me to a cool idea. How about a record label that only releases vinyl and mp3's. No CD's... There records are for those that want that experience of the object in your hand. The MP3's because this is what people want. Maybe if you get the LP you get the MP3's for free or whatever.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Records...

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:16 am

instamatic wrote:Anyone still have records?
Only a few hundred.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:17 pm

I bought one Saturday night. Great band from New Jersey: Charge. Good stuff.

instamatic
ass engineer

Post by instamatic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:00 pm

yea i haven't bought a cd in ages but records all the time...what do u think about the record label idea.

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:56 pm

I think that's already being done -- by Matador?? -- buy the vinyl, get a free download of the album. However, they have not stopped selling cd's.

However, I'm starting to like the sound of digitized vinyl. A few pops and crackles make an dull mp3 sound a hell of a lot better.

instamatic
ass engineer

Post by instamatic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:59 pm

everythings been done...bummer.

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:40 pm

that matador idea is super awesome, and i wished that every label started doing this...

it is also done by saddle creek..

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:16 pm

Didn't shellac give away a cd (or cdr?) with the vinyl on one of their records? Seems fine to me..
beware bee wear

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:48 am

Usually, I'll get records (mp3 format) from friends to check out, and if I like it enough, I'll see if they offer the record on Lp format and I'll buy that.

No cd's for me, it's just more stuff friends can borrow and never give back.

instamatic
ass engineer

Post by instamatic » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:31 pm

on top of it cd's do not last forever. even if you take care of them. I have this thing on some of my cd's where the silver stuff is flaking off the top rendering the cd's unplayable. i have some fifty year old records and they still play great! besides cd's will soon be a dead format for music.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:33 pm

mp3 and vinyl, that is about the extent of my music collection.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: Records...

Post by Ivon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:20 pm

dwlb wrote:
instamatic wrote:Anyone still have records?
Only a few hundred.
Me too. I burn cds for the car and stuff, but I much prefer vinyl. I wish every record company would offer vinyl versions of music.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

Still though, it seems that by in large, analog recording equipment is on the way out. I think as technology advances, digital equipment will eventually be able to accurately reproduce those sine waves.

pumadrum
gettin' sounds

Post by pumadrum » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Digital recording equipment can do a better job than CD or MP3 for capturing sound. The really really High Def stuff sounds much more accurate than a record to me.

The DVD-A format (which AES is totally blowing right now IMO) can reproduce for the consumer INSANE fidelity (in surround no less).

I still prefer records though (there seems to be the best MUSIC on them)
Curtis Franklin
Feel free to ignore me and use your ears.
curtisfranklin@earthsedgestudio.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:53 am

i always go for the vinyl print of an album if it's available.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

nopenopenope
gettin' sounds

Sadism and Vinyl

Post by nopenopenope » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:27 pm

instamatic wrote:on top of it cd's do not last forever. even if you take care of them. I have this thing on some of my cd's where the silver stuff is flaking off the top rendering the cd's unplayable. i have some fifty year old records and they still play great! besides cd's will soon be a dead format for music.
First off - these are burned CDs you're referring to. Stamped CDs won't flake away like that because that layer in encased in plastic. even though, if you have burned CDs and take care of them - keep them out of moisture, heat and direct sunlight (much like a record!) - they'll last forever. also, those little pits on a CD don't get 'played out' like the grooves on vinyl do.

I think the problem is that since CDs are much more durable than records, people start treating them like they're supposed to be indestructible. Just to say, my CDs are all in binders. i have one CD with one scratch on it. (And, if you want to get silly - the hardness of the plastic on a CD is much higher than the hardness on any material used to pressed records.) They live there out of the heat, cold and sunlight. I imagine you go so some length to keep your records in good condition - or maybe the warped record sound is your idea of a good time. :P

now don't get me wrong, CDs suck too. 16 bit is kinda harsh, but i'd rather run a sterile, digital CD through a tube preamp to warm it than a record that you destroy by loving to listen to it. sadism at it's finest.

but then again, it is far better to buy an album that was recorded/mixed/mastered originally to be on record. a lot of things didn't make it to CD too well at all.