Clint Mansell & Kronos from "The Fountain"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Clint Mansell & Kronos from "The Fountain"

Post by CabreeToe » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:22 am

Not much other than a holla at ya boy. But Damn! I just saw this with my wife today. Its a powerful film; contextually, visually, sonically, and musically. I had been waiting for this movie for a while. But it blew away my expectations. Wonderful creative use of the surround medium. Both in the EFX/dialogue and score.

My wife cried for what she says is about 45mins. I'd say an hour the films only 98mins long
I asked her what was it that made her so emotional? First she said: "Oh, my God it was so beautiful! Then when I started to calm down and take in more; the score ripped into me."

I couldn't help but notice all the changes and uses of such a wide range of instrumentation: From Kronos strings to majestic synth pads to rich Chorus. And in a story of love and obsessive devotion the score could have easily become silly and sappy. But instead it seamed to be masterful and subtle while still conveying immense empathy.

I only just saw it today so I haven't figured out where all the sections Mogwai was performing but none the less strangely. I felt that too.

Impressive, impressive.

Just had to let some of you know. Genius and incredible performances are out there. Sometimes just playing in a different venue.

Truly inspiring

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:32 pm

Just got back from the theatre. amazing film, both visually and conceptually. the music is stunning. the piano piece during the credits was incredible. really summed up the overall tone of the film and was beautifully recorded. my girlfriend commented on how you could hear the sounds of the pedals on the piano. highly recommend checking this out.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

chris almighty
studio intern

Post by chris almighty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:58 pm

Did you guys see the same film I did? I was disappointed, and YES I got it. It just wasn't very good.