Velvet Underground Acetate on Ebay

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

tactics
steve albini likes it

Velvet Underground Acetate on Ebay

Post by tactics » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:56 pm

EbayEbayEbay

Interesting reading the story behind it.Sitting at 120,000 clams with 162 bids and 3 days or so to go.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:29 am

:shock:

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:36 am

I'll wait for the CD.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:08 pm

http://pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/ ... eBay_Aucti

Up to $124,740.50

Let's see if that bid is legitimate...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:30 am

I can't get over how many bids there have been. the first one was 26 bucks! The current high bidder has 0 feedback and if you look at the bid history page, they've been cancelling bids right and left for high bid/low feedback. some of those 'low feedbacks' are people with over 100 feedbacks. weird.

I actually put it on my watch list. It's like watching a soap opera.

will

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:07 am

Dug these questions out also:

Questions from other members : VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO
1966 Acetate LP ANDY WARHOL Item number: 30005491030

Question & Answer

Q: You may or may not want to publish this, but the answer to Copyright question is manifestly no. I'm a copyright attorney and the law is clear that the copyright in a sound recording does not travel with the sound recording. It resides either with the person's on the recording or the recording engineers and their company, or both depending on various facts including the contract, if any, between the engineer and the band. The only thing that is certain is that it does not belong to a purchaser of the master.
Dec-05-06

A: Hi Skramble - Yes, I will publish it with the auction so that bidders will have no confusion about this point. Thanks for taking the time to share the information. Gratefully, Scott, Saturn Records

Q: The 'rumor' about Moe's acetate is true! I have worked with her and Sterling on projects in the past, and they both mentioned how the band played it several times to see how the NY sessions had gone. I've seen it, with Sterling's handwritten 'featuring Moe Tucker' on the front of the white cover. This 'legend' is true--there definitely is another copy. --M.C. Kostek
Dec-04-06

A: Though we must still regard this as unconfirmed, we will post it in the interest of keeping our bidders informed about claims which seem credible to us. If this correspondence is indeed, as I am inclined to believe, from Mike Kostek, author of 'The Velvet Underground Handbook', we thank you for your contribution.

Q: I realize you stand to make a lot of cash on this record, but don't you think an artifact like this should be placed in the hands of a museum or the rock and roll hall of fame, or some entity that can properly care for it, or in the hands of the band itself? I bet Lou Reed himself, may pay you more for it than you could earn off ebay, you should try getting ahold of him or something via his record company or whatever. Mike
Dec-02-06

A: Hi Mike, I appreciate your position. We have received a number of emails echoing this sentiment. We are confident that the item will go to a responsible party who will care for it as the historic artifact that it is while in their hands. If the winning bidder wishes to donate it to either Lou Reed or the Rock ?n' Roll Hall Of Fame, then that will be a fine thing. For our part, we feel that ethical conduct is everyone's responsibility, but philanthropy is primarily the responsibility of the wealthy. I don't expect Warren should feel obliged to donate such a valuable object to posterity when he can be paid a fair market value to pass it to someone that is in a better position to do that. Thanks for your consideration. I appreciate the passion for music and history that is evident in your message. -Scott

Q: Another copy of this acetate showed up 2 years ago from a Moe Tucker basement box & has been released unofficially on cd last year,maybe you'd make it public as in your description you write that yours is the only existing copy.All the serious Velvet Underground collectors knows that this is not the only copy.For sure your copy is in better conditions than the Moe's.It will not affect the big price you're gonna get at the end...
Dec-02-06

A: The legend of the surfacing of a Moe Tucker copy is documented nowhere that we could find except on the liner of the Japanese bootleg referenced in our description above. As such, we regard it as rumored (at best) and thus unreliable. That Warren's copy is far superior in sound to the bootleg is noteworthy, however, and would lend credibility to the notion that there could be another copy extant. Please advise if you have an information source more credible than the liner notes of a bootleg CD and/or word of mouth. Has Moe Tucker confirmed this rumor?

Q: Does ownership of the acetate come with a copyright to manufacture?
Nov-30-06

A: I do not know the answer to this question. Any intellectual copyright attorney should be able to assess this for you once they learn of the situation. The facts are straighforward: this acetate contains unreleased performances and/or mixes of songs which, as compositions, are otherwise held property and for which only alternative published commercial performance recordings have been available for 40 years. As to whether the tracks which are primarily alternative mixes (and thus the same performances with perhaps the odd overdub) are covered under the publishing of the released mixes of those particular recordings, I do not know. Your attorney and those of the publishing holders will likely know best.

Q: Hi, Is this the record purchased by Waren or it is a second one ? Thanks !
Nov-29-06

A: This is Warren's copy, and he has asked Saturn Records to offer it on his behalf. Despite claims in some of the articles that he intended to sell the record at auction 'next month' a year or two ago, in fact the record was neither offered previously at auction, nor was a purchase made by Universal Music, or any other label. No deal or auction was ever finalized, and the recording of this disc has remained uncirculated. This is the first time Warren's record has been committed to a sale.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:29 pm

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:54 pm

There is a bit torrent of this album floating around. It is very cool. A bit scratchy and some skips, but a great piece of history.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:54 am

friendlybunny wrote:There is a bit torrent of this album floating around. It is very cool. A bit scratchy and some skips, but a great piece of history.
Link?
beware bee wear

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Never underestimate the Velvet Underdog.

The lost VU recording I'm most hoping to hear someday is certainly "Squeeze", the story of which is absolutely hilarious. An article in MOJO a few years ago described the manager frantically making up lyrics during their travels and scribbling them on napkins, and their dreadful tours of ski chalets in New Hampshire, and every little thing I read about "Squeeze" just makes me want to hear it even more.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... h1z8hajyv4

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:06 pm

That's like those post-Morrison Doors albums that went out print all those years back.

More interesting was the last Clash album, Cut the Crap, which was recorded after Mick Jones was given the sack. For many years, the band disowned it, and it was omitted from the discography in The Clash on Broadway box set. It was also never came out on CD in the US. Then, when Sony remastered all the CDs, it was in the batch and it reappeared in the discography. In cany case, it's the only one of these four albums I've heard and it's crap. Probably better than Squeeze, though, I'm guessing.

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:44 pm

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 am

Well, I found a way to hear Squeeze, don't ask me how, let's just say I didn't pony up a couple hundred bones for an old long player copy, and it SUCKS MAJOR ASS. It has a sort of cool early-mid-seventies vibe and a nice dead drum sound but in all other respects it is an unmitigated disaster. Now I can stop imagining it as an underappreciated lost masterpiece.

supersockmonkey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by supersockmonkey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:33 am

*Ryan*
My Music: www.myspace.com/wearethepacific In crystal clear MP3 format

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:09 am

kayagum wrote:Let's see if that bid is legitimate...
Nope.